Spending Spree (NOT OFFICIAL!!!!)

Started by miketr, September 07, 2011, 08:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketr

Quote from: Tanthalas on September 08, 2011, 01:42:42 AM
Quote from: Desertfox on September 08, 2011, 01:21:17 AM
I don't like the 'must spend 25%' rule, but am fine with everything else. Can we also spend money on non-military stuff like say railroads?

Minimum numbers I can see a point behind.  I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict the answer to that is no as far as Civilian spending since its specificly labled military.

The mod team couldn't agree on the railroads and it got shoved off to do other stuff. 

Speaking of rules Guinness has a draft thats about ready it appears.  We are kicking around some last detail ideas on stuff like TB's.

As an FYI it doesn't look we will be having an iHP limit on engines, not till turbines appear.

Michael

miketr

Quote from: snip on September 07, 2011, 10:56:35 AM
Quote from: miketr on September 07, 2011, 10:49:46 AM
Quote from: snip on September 07, 2011, 10:41:59 AM
3. Does the limit on ships layed down between 1875 and 1879 apply to the total unmodified cost of the Navy or the total modified (based on laydown year) cost of the Navy?

Ships with those laid down dates cost less in terms of startup cost but not upkeep.  As a result if you made your fleet a collection of relics from the 1860's you could have a fleet twice as large.  Does this answer your question?

Michael

No, but I was unclear, let me try again. So we have the cap of 50% of total money spent on ships can be spent on ships layed down 1875-79. What I was wondering is if the 50% applies to the cost of the navy before or after the modifications in cost for laydown date are applied? Does that make more sense?

FINAL cost after modifiers, the idea is to make sure people don't do something silly like start with a state of the art fleet, for the day. 

So you would apply the 0.5 & 0.75 cost reductions and then make sure you are 50% limit for 1875-79.

Clear?

Michael

Desertfox

QuoteI'm going to go out on a limb here and predict the answer to that is no as far as Civilian spending since its specificly labled military.
Well I ran some numbers and I REALLY do not want to have to spend $1000 on military. Would be nice if we didn't spend all on military we could get some starting GDP bonus.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Nobody

Quote from: Desertfox on September 08, 2011, 09:51:14 AM
QuoteI'm going to go out on a limb here and predict the answer to that is no as far as Civilian spending since its specificly labled military.
Well I ran some numbers and I REALLY do not want to have to spend $1000 on military. Would be nice if we didn't spend all on military we could get some starting GDP bonus.
I kind of agree. But afaik there is absolutely nothing we could spent money on which would improve our economy.

miketr

Quote from: Desertfox on September 08, 2011, 09:51:14 AM

Buy more ports, etc.

If nothing else do the rollover, cash allows you to have lower tax rates and that means more growth for your economy.

Michael

Darman

How much are being allowed to roll over and for how long?

TexanCowboy

Guys, I'm sorry, but as I mentioned before there's no way I'll even be able to start the design process till November.

I'll try to keep it balanced and in tune with what everyone else is doing at that time...

Desertfox

Well if we are allowed to store some of the startup money, then I really don't like the 25% minimum rule. What if we only want to spend say 20% each on Army and Navy and save the rest?
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Carthaginian

Quote from: Desertfox on September 09, 2011, 06:49:02 PM
Well if we are allowed to store some of the startup money, then I really don't like the 25% minimum rule. What if we only want to spend say 20% each on Army and Navy and save the rest?

I think the answer is already 'NO' Desertfox...
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Walter

If he wants to, then he should be allowed to do that...

.... at the expense of the 2x 5% he's not going to use for army and navy and which will be lost in the process. ;D

miketr

Players will be allowed to keep up to 5% of there economy banked during the game.  If you wish you may use startup funds to fill up your bank account.  So you can save up to N$100 of the startup cash.

Any other unspent cash is lost.

Michael

snip

so questions regarding the banking system and startup stuff in general:

1. How long can money be stored?
2. Dose this take the place of any sort of roleover from report to report?
2a. If no, how will that system work?
3. Is there any system already in place for how developing Naval guns is going to work?
4. Is there any limit on the size that our starting facities (Ports ect) can be?
6. Any info on what our starting tech levels will be?

Well then you are hanging up a big sign that says Easy Pickings. One good prospective colony up for grabs.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Walter

You know DF, you could always go for the given 2x 25% and donate the 2x 5% to me so you have 2x 20%... ;D

miketr

Quote from: snip on September 10, 2011, 11:03:57 AM
so questions regarding the banking system and startup stuff in general:

1. How long can money be stored?

No limit

2. Dose this take the place of any sort of roleover from report to report?
2a. If no, how will that system work?

Players are allowed to bank 5% of their GDP turn to turn.  All players will start with a economy of N$2,000 bucks.  So you could have your bank account full to start with.

3. Is there any system already in place for how developing Naval guns is going to work?

Guinness has rules for it, we should be publishing them this coming week.  It is a gun energy system in terms of limits.

4. Is there any limit on the size that our starting facities (Ports ect) can be?

NONE, spend as much as you want to.  Myself I intend to have lots of little-medium ports for Byzantium and one huge fleet at the center of it all.

6. Any info on what our starting tech levels will be?

When we publish the rules set this week, hopefully, knock on wood, cross fingers, etc.  It will be there.

Well then you are hanging up a big sign that says Easy Pickings. One good prospective colony up for grabs.

Not colony... only savages become colonies, a protectorate...

Michael

ctwaterman

QuoteWell if we are allowed to store some of the startup money, then I really don't like the 25% minimum rule. What if we only want to spend say 20% each on Army and Navy and save the rest?

Not colony... only savages become colonies, a protectorate...

Hmmmm but a Protectorate with large amount of Gold in its banks is hardly Uncivilized at all.... ;)  The Gold will have to be moved to a more protected banking system.

Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along