To Hit Numbers

Started by miketr, March 29, 2011, 08:31:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P3D

Quote from: miketr on March 31, 2011, 06:09:10 AM
Again P3D and with respect math models aren't the issue here, playability is.  They are separate if related problems.

Besides the exponent what else goes into the to hit numbers you provided?

Michael

Do we really need the reduced anti-TB efficiency? It is a battleship-building game after all.

BTW, does anyone have a hit chance table for Tsushima?

The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

P3D

Looking at the numbers, the FC quality should be reflected by a "range multiplier" instead, say:

Post-1930 FC 1.0
1920s 1.5
Jutland 2.0
Post-Tsushima 2.5
None 3.0

If we assume 5% hit probability as an arbitrary limit of effective range, the range for no FC would be ~8km, For Early WWI it would be 10km, 15km Post-Jutland, and 25km for 1930.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

miketr

Quote from: P3D on March 31, 2011, 01:24:53 PM
Looking at the numbers, the FC quality should be reflected by a "range multiplier" instead, say:

How does this consider factors like target EM, weather, target speed, etc?

Michael

miketr

Quote from: P3D on March 31, 2011, 01:15:12 PM

Do we really need the reduced anti-TB efficiency? It is a battleship-building game after all.

BTW, does anyone have a hit chance table for Tsushima?

My opinion is that the reduced ability to kill DD's is real.  I think if you build a single 20,000 ton BB or twenty 1,000 DD's the DD's will take the BB every single time in anything like normal weather conditions.  The problem with the DD's is the DD's are short ranged ships that can't fight in all weather.  Also if you have a 40,000 ton fleet of say 1 BB and twenty 1,000 ton DD's vs. forty 1,000 ton DD's the DD swarm fleet dies very badly.  The BB's problem is that it can engage only so many targets at a time, those that it can it kills.

Michael

P3D

And I think the ability to kill DDs is real. Otherwise post-Jutland BBs would have had heavier secondary armament.

P3D

Quote from: miketr on March 31, 2011, 04:06:49 PM

How does this consider factors like target EM, weather, target speed, etc?

Michael

E.g. if a factor decreases hit probability by 50%, then the "effective range" would be increased by 5km or so. So instead the hit chance at 20km, the one at 25km would be used.

miketr

Could you provide the base line chart and math please so I can look it over?  So no fire control at all or any other modifiers.

Michael