Main Menu

1919 Bavarian News

Started by Kaiser Kirk, May 02, 2010, 09:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiser Kirk

October 10th
Reports of unrest continue to emanate from many regions of the Ukraine. Reports of Banditry are particularly noteworthy along the Dneister with large bands said tbe roving between Lvov and Odessa. Wanted posters have been published for "The Kurgan" in this area.

Polish regions of the Ukraine have continued to be generally peaceful, with pockets of unrest. Over the past six months raids have occurred on several tax collecting stations and some on Cheka (Extraordinary Commission for Combating Counter-Revolution and Sabotage ) stations.  A reward has been offered for a red haired woman said to lead the bandits, "Sonya the Bloody", or "Sonya the Red".  The presence of Russian troops for much of the recent period is thought to have provided a buffer between the Poles and their Ukrainian rulers as the area has otherwise been fairly quiet.  

Cabinet Chambers , Munich (no outside ears):
Present :
Lugwig III, the King
G. von Hertling, Prime Minister
E. Müller, Foreign Minister
Otto Ritter von Dandl , Treasury Minister.
Gustav Ritter von Kahr , War Minister
Georg Alexander von Mülle , Oberkommando der Marine
M. Segitz, Minister of of Commerce, Industry and Trade

midway through the session ...

G. von Hertling, Prime Minister : Excellent von Kahr, I am pleased that the KBZ's 90mm gun is on schedule, far to many of these research and development projects the Heer commences overrun.

Georg Alexander von Mülle , Oberkommando der Marine : Prime Minister, the fleet is the one which provided the specifications for a high velocity quick fire cannon, as well as the high angle mounting, we simply are willing to share the weapon with the Heer.

Gustav Ritter von Kahr , War Minister : Herr von  Mülle, need I remind you that the Fleet and the Heer both report to me? Perhaps you would prefer to repeat that statement in front of General  von Dellmensingen ?

G. von Hertling, Prime Minister : Enough. Müller, your report?

E. Müller, Foreign Minister : Gentlemen, I am afraid I have no firm information regarding the M. Segitz, Trade Ministers query.  While our representative in Singapore has relayed a confirmation of Dutch involvement in the Chinese Civil War. Reports from personnel in Russia confirm transit of Dutch personnel, and word from our people in Japan and the RRC itself all confirm Dutch troops actively present in the

King Lugwig III : I don't understand.

E. Müller, Foreign Minister : Understand what sire ?

King Lugwig III (waving vaguely) : This, this allegation of the Dutch being in the war.

E. Müller, Foreign Minister : Well Sire, as I was explaining it seems to be distinctly more than an allegation.

King Lugwig III : Were we not assured that the Dutch would seek no wars in Asia?  Of course there was that thing with that local Kingdom, and the Prussians got involved, and then the RRC.

Gustav Ritter von Kahr , War Minister : That would be the Dutch-Siamese war sire. Which commenced shortly after we signed the treaty.

King Lugwig III : I'm not discussing that war, after all it was over quit sometime ago. You remember when the Dutch government collapsed, and the new one folded and signed that treaty. I'm discussing the RRC, do pay attention.

Gustav Ritter von Kahr , War Minister : Of course sire.

King Lugwig III : What was I saying?

E. Müller, Foreign Minister : Apparently something about the RRC sire.

King Lugwig III : Of course I was. What was I saying about it though, I was interrupted. Rude it was.

E. Müller, Foreign Minister : You were saying that in the Dutch-Siamese war, the Prussians became involved and then the RRC...

King Lugwig III : Ahh yes, they were allies of the Dutch, so of course the rumors must be false, this was but months ago and the Dutch and RRC ere allies, besides which we were assured there would be no wars.  I suppose the invasion of Siam broke that promise though. Still, the Dutch can't be fighting alongside the Middle Kingdom since they are allies of the RRC.  I clearly recall the M. Segitz, Trade Minister prattling on about trade and technical exchanges with them. I do believe Rupprecht said he met some in Trieste, he said they were quite small and strange looking, jaundiced even.
King Lugwig III : Well, doesn't someone have something to say?

E. Müller, Foreign Minister : Sorry Sire, did not wish to interrupt.  I am sorry to say the reports appear to be entirely true. The Dutch have joined the Middle Kingdom in the war against their former allies the RRC. Our Singapore office did flag some newspaper articles out of the DKB of all places which alluded to the situation. The way in which the RRC pulled out of the Dutch-Siamese war would seem to have signaled the end of their alliance.

M. Segitz, Trade Minister : The situation is having a deleterious effect on our exports. Not only are the M.A.N. tractors and other products destined for the RRC having difficulties finding transport out of Rotterdam, and having to ship through Hamburg or Trieste to meet contracts, but the blockade is having an adverse effect on shipping & insurance rates, rendering the trade unprofitable.

King Lugwig III : Most perturbing. What information has the Dutch ambassador given us?

E. Müller, Foreign Minister : Little specific, mere confirmation of the Dutch presence.

King Lugwig III : No, no, answer the question. What warning did the Dutch ambassador give us?

E. Müller, Foreign Minister : But Sire, that, um,... ah I see your point. None sire. We have inquired of the ESC if they were given warning and it appears they also received no advanced notice.   For that matter Sire, we had no indication back in September the Dutch were planning on seizing Misarah during the Rift war either.

King Lugwig III : My dear fellow, it's your task to notice Declarations of War. That *waggles his finger* should be the tip off.

E. Müller, Foreign Minister : Well Sire, I am not aware of a Declaration of War in that case. The Dutch seemed to have counted on the existing affairs with the New Swiss to make such unnecessary. Indeed, they were recalcitrant to inform us even when we attempted to act as intermediaries between the DKB and Holland. Further, I am unaware of any such declaration in the case of the RRC.

Gustav Ritter von Kahr , War Minister : The Dutch did share their Admirals report with us, but nothing further.

King Lugwig III : I am disappointed you would come to such a meeting without a firm grasp on the situation. You really should be aware of Declarations of War.  I suggest you spend the next several weeks obtaining information on the situation in China. Our Kingdom should have a firmer grasp of what our Allied nations, the Dutch are our allies now you know, are engaged in, particularly if it involves conflict with an ally. Their former ally that is, not ours. Merely a trading partner for us.  The RRC you know. So go, scurry, gather more details. I suppose you should consult with the Nords as well.

King Lugwig III : so, Herr Segitz, Lagos

M. Segitz, Trade Minister : Well Sire, our representatives report progress on a tri-parte document. The entire situation in the Rift has apparently left the Nigerians feeling isolated.   The Dutch as the trade and money men, ourselves as the honest broker, and the Nigerians as the party needing capital, the treaty parameters are roughed out, but there are several items that require further negotiation......

November

November 5th
Reports from the Ukraine indicate Ukrainian authorities staged a series of raids on All Saints Day and All Souls Day. As families congregated in cemeteries to honor their deceased relatives, Secret Police spied those individuals suspected of subversion and called in troops to wrest them from the breast of their families. Reports of riots after some raids have not been confirmed.

November 10th
The Ukrainian Government has lodged a protest. The Ukrainian Ambassador in Saint Petersburg announced today that troops had found weapon caches during searches in Poland at the end of October.  
Several sample weapons were presented for press review, bearing the stamp of the Army of Schliesen .

The Ukrainian Ambassador went on to denounce "King Lugwig III is a modern Machaivelli, plotting to rend our nation asunder from within !"

November 15th
The Bavarian Ambassador in Saint Petersburg answered the Ukrainian charges.
"The weapons presented by the Ukrainians are among those found missing in the  XXVII Corp armories in 1917.   Brigade General Zawadzki and eight others of the Quartermaster service were courtmartialed for their involvement in the theft of military supplies.  We cordially request the Ukrainian government surrender all such equipment.

see the Breslau Bugler, January 15th, 1917

November 24th, 1919
E. Müller, Foreign Minister  and General  von Dellmensingen depart for the ESC. The Minister and the Chief of Staff are to discuss Economic and Military issues with their counterparts in the ESC.

November 25th 1919
The Treaty of Tel Aviv, ending the Rift War, is announced.
Did they beat the drum slowly,
Did they play the fife lowly,
Did they sound the death march, as they lowered you down,
Did the band play the last post and chorus,
Did the pipes play the flowers of the forest

Kaiser Kirk

November 19th, Bavaria
Buß- und Bettag, the annual feast day of Prayer and Remembrance is celebrated throughout the High Kingdom of Bavaria and Switzerland. Originally a protestant holiday combining several lesser feasts, the day is now a holy day for all People of the Book in the Realm.

November 30th, Warsaw
Poles throughout the western Ukraine indulged in dancing and partying on 'Andrzejki'  the night of St Andrew's Day.  Ukrainian raids in Lvow target the leaders of the Zwi?zek Strzelecki  "Rifleman's association'. The following morning the arrests of the leader of the Rifleman "Mieczys?aw " and two lieutenants, Marek K?kol  and "Godziemba". 

"Mieczys?aw " is famed for the statement "Only the sword now carries any weight in the balance for the destiny of a nation ".  Rumors swirl that a third member, W?adys?aw Belina-Pra?mowski escaped into the night.

Unconfirmed reports that raids in the Warsaw area failed to locate the leader of the Polska Organizacja Wojskowa , one Tadeusz Kasprzycki

Kaiser Kirk

December 5th
Reports from the Southern Ukraine indicate that troop infusions to combat banditry have failed capture or destroy the  "Green Army of Grigoriev", which is believed to have crossed to Romania. Grigoriev's bandits have been rampaging from Odessa to the headwaters of the Dneister for nearly two years, but recently the band has swelled in size and acquired the "Green Army" moniker.   Unconfirmed reports indicate the Ukrainians have engaged in clashes with Romanian border troops, and allege the Romanians condone Grigoriev's actions.

December 6th
'Mikolaj' or St Nicholas' Day, is when children in Poland expected Santa Claus. Instead, this day brought a proclamation from the current government of the Ukraine.

Grand Crown Hetman Skorapadskyi issued a hramota (proclamation) today announcing  the All-Ukrainian Nation and the laws of the Provisional State System.

The proclamation included specifics as to a new flag, a requisition of food stocks, and restoration of lands taking by Cyril to Ukrainian nobles. Elements of the proclamation included a reformation of the Army, disbanding certain units. The proclamation also includes a provision designating Metropolian Bishop Antony Khrapovitsky, Prelate of the Russian Orthodox Church on Kiev as "Prelate of All the Ukraine".  The Bishop is well known for his nationalism and suppression of Catholics. Subsequent points banned the construction of new churches not dedicated to the Russian Orthodox Church and imposed taxes on existing structures.

Pavlo  Skoropadskyi has in recent months risen to prominence in Her Majesty Queen Margita's government and has proclaimed himself the Grand Crown Hetman of the Ukraine, leader of the military forces in addition to his apparent role as Prime Minister. The Hetman is whispered to be one of the suspected puppet master of Her Highness Margita.

A spokesman for the Association of the Ukrainian Progressionists  (TUP) , one Mykhailo Hrushevskyi,  denounced the proclamation as desive and corrupt. "What is needed is a steady hand to control the noble factions, quell the dissent in Poland, and capture the bandits along to Dneister, instead our esteemed Hetman has brought a bellows to a housefire."

Kaiser Kirk

December 8th
The Bavarian Foreign Ministry announced plans for Foreign Minister  E. Müller to travel to St. Petersburg once his conference with his ESC counterparts concludes.

In the Ukraine:
Ukrainian papers announce Grand Crown Hetman Skorapadskyi has declared "Mieczyslaw" aka one Józef  Pilsudski, '"Marek Kakol"  aka one Marian Kukiel, "Godziemba" aka one Kazimierz Sosnkowski will be transported to Kiev for trial and execution. Rioting breaks out in Warsaw and Lvov in protest.

Odessa :

The Headquarters of the 14th Rifle Corps, responsible for the Romanian border between the Dneister and the mouths of the Danube, confirmed reports that a mutiny by elements of the 9th Brigade, 14th Rifle Corps, has been put down.

The 9th Brigade, is mostly Polish with Ukrainian officers, as befits the strategy of posting troops outside their homelands.  The 9th Brigade was based in Benderay on the lower Dneister, and mutinied over the rancid meat used in the borscht* and late pay.

Confirmed reports from Eastern Ukraine speak of unrest in the historical territories of the Zaporizhian Sich, where the Cossack Atmans view the recent announcement of an All-Ukrainian nation with deep suspicion. Nationally, unrest has risen since the demise of Czar Cyril and the rise of Hetman Skorapadskyi**. Cronies of the Hetman have been placed many important jobs,  but are widely viewed as corrupt, "misallocating" funds.

*plot device stolen from the Battleship Potemkin
**historically he came to power in an April 18, 1918 coup, so it's a year off.

December 9th
Nuremberg, Bavaria
The First monthly meeting of Procrastinators Anonymous was postponed for the 53rd time.

Sunday, December  14th
At the direction of the new "Prelate of All the Ukraine"  the following missive was read in Churches and Synagogues across the Nation. "What should we do during these troubled days?" , and continued to expound on  the "criminal" and "anti-Christian" intentions of those who had compiled The Protocols of the Elders of Zion*.
Assessing the Protocols, Khrapovitsky directly associated its authors' "monstrous" intentions with the revolutionary events in Ukraine,  examining the then-ongoing social disturbance in the Ukrainian society from a religious, not political, point of view. He then alleged that the Russian and Catholic Churches were conspiring to lead the Orthodox peoples astray. He urged the Orthodox people to stand up against the Anti-Christ as he led them to a "New Truth".

*A document forged in 1903 which alarmed the OTL predecessor of Khrapovitsky who actually gave parts of this missive.

December 15th
Kiev
Kieven Gendarme troops responded to reports of bandits at the  Metropolitan Cathedral. The gendarmes engaged an armed company  on the Cathedral grounds which refused to stand down. The Gendarmes attempted to apprehend the intruders and were rapidly overwhelmed. Calls for additional troops went out. The armed company was tenatively identified as the Kurgan and his guards.
The Kurgan, Inquisitor of the Czar, famed crusader against the Eye, guardian against the Dark, has reportedly seeking Metropolitan Bishop Antony Khrapovitsky of Kiev for trial as a High Priest of the Eye.

When troops from 7th Rifle Corps began to arrive, the Kurgans troops were exiting the flaming building. The Hetman's Secret Police issued orders for their apprehension and  the Riflemen engaged the intruders, slaying three.  However as  the Hetman's gendarmes moved to arrest the Kurgan, but his guards,  Zaporozhian cossacks, beat them off, allowing the Kurgan to retreat eastwards from Kiev towards the Zaphorozhian lands.  While the Kurgan is believed to be of the ancient Vallani people, his crusade against the Eye in these past four years has made him friend to many of the Cossack Atmans.

December 16th
Unsubstantiated reports indicate that in the wake of Czar Andrei's Inquistor's actions, the Ukrainian government has ordered Russian Military and Civilian personnel to exit the Ukraine.

December 20th
Fighting is reported in Blia Tserkva, Ukraine.
The Sich Riflemen (Halych-Bukovyna Kurin), members of the 20th Rifle Corps, ordered to disband in the reorganization announced on December 6th, have refused to stand down. Commanded by General Yevhen Konovalets, the Sich Rifles are a half Corp in strength, with  25,000 men, including artillery, cavalry, reconnaissance and machine gun units. The Sich Rifles are reportedly joined by the  Second Zaporozhian Regiment of Cossacks under Petro Bolbochan in a revolt against Hetman Skoropadskyi.  

The Political face of the revolt is  Symon Petlura, leader of "The Directorate" and it's Chief of Military Forces. Mr. Petlirua , is a former member of the All-Ukrainian Army Congress and the subsequent, Ukrainian General Army Committee and former First Secretary for Military matters of the latter body, having been unseated when the Hetman seized power.  

Kaiser Kirk

sorry for the delay, been busy since Christmas, and this took a bit to come up with

December 21
Monday, Cabinet Chambers, Munich
Gustav Ritter von Kahr , War Minister, Oberkommando der Heer and  G. von Hertling, Prime Minister in a closed session.

Von Kahr : Per your request, we have investigated the Ukrainian claims of weapons smuggling. Those weapons presented for inspection in St. Petersburg indeed bear the stamps of some of the weapons missing from the armory. However there do appear to be potential restamps in some cases.

Our investigators have identified a series of potential problems. There is little market for arms resale, so the weapons replaced by new manufacture are sold for disposal. We have identified several units with slightly higher replacement costs than expected, they belong to the Armies of Silesia and Saxony. These may be valid claims, as those armies have over 140,000 troops mobilized, which is a higher rate than some.

A firm near Glatz, Silesia has been purchasing a high percentage of those weapons. Silesian inspectors have been diligently certifying the disposal of the weapons.  Given the decentralized nature of the High Kingdom, the Silesian inspectors report to the Duke of Silesia.  While this decentralized design served French goals at the time, it does provide the sovereign states with a level of independence which may not be compatible with centralized foreign policy.

It is worthy of note that the border guards also report to the Duchy. This presents a concentration of..ah...resources, in the hands of the Duke, who of course is also King of Saxony and claims the titles King of Poland and Duke of Warsaw. This in in addition to his direct command of the Army of Saxony.

I suppose it should be noted that Generaloberst von Hausen, commander of the Army of Silesia, has served in the Saxon army since 1866, and formerly commanded the Royal Saxon II Garde Corps, and indeed served as the Saxon Minister of War from 1902-1914. One could postulate some personal ties between the two indivduals.

von Hertling : looking grim  I see. Well, I suppose it is time to submit a bill to the Senate to consolidate the border guards and some of the inspection services under the banner of the High Kingdom. I would suggest also that the Heer consider a policy of forced retirement for sitting Sovereigns....

Von Kahr : Shall I present this to His Majesty.

von Hertling : Whatever for? I sure he has some cow to milk or something, we can certainly address the issue and ensure all is well under control without having to bother his Majesty. Now, lets go over this report in detail, shall we?

December 26
Friday.
Early morning : Guards at the Czestochowa Barracks huddled at their posts, watching curiously as a Polish sewer maintenance crew appear and begin work. Bundles of equipment vanish into the sewer to assist the repairs, but the stench warns any curious enough to approach that perhaps that is not the best of ideas. At lunch time a young woman brings them lunch, a stray strand of red hair whips loose in the wind, but is quickly tucked back under her headscarf.

Similar scenes playout in streets near barracks in Warsaw, Sosnowiec , Lodz, Piotrkow. Iwangorvod, and Skierniewice.

Midday:  Radio Tower outside Warsaw is seized by several students wielding clubs and led by a pianist, a record is played, of a woman singing. "Hymn do mi?o?ci Ojczyzny ".
O sacred love of the beloved Country,
Only good and true minds can experience you!
For thee, virulent poisons are savory;
For thee, chains and fetters are not an abuse.
Thou embellish cripples with scars of glory;
In the mind, thou dost nestle pleasures most true.
Might one, to thy succor, endeavor to fly,
'Twere nothing to live poor, 'twere nothing to die.

A second track plays of "Warszawianka "
Boldly raise our banner high,
Even though foreign storms are flowing
Even though forces of darkness oppress us,
Even though nobody's tomorrow is certain.
Oh, this is the banner of the whole mankind,
The sacred call, the song of resurrection,
It's the triumph of labor and justice,
It's the dawn of the brotherhood of all peoples!
Forward, Warsaw!
To the bloody fight,(repeat)
Sacred and righteous!
March, march, Warsaw!
Today when the working people are starving,
To be deeply in joy is a high crime,
And damned be those among us, who in their young age,
Are afraid of standing on the scaffold!
Oh, we will never forget the deaths of those,
Who gave their life for the cause,
Because our victorious chant will make
Their names honoured by millions of people!
Forward, Warsaw!
To the bloody fight,(repeat)
Sacred and righteous!
March, march, Warsaw!
Hurra! Tear down the crown of the tzars,
When people are wearing the one of thorns.
Let's drown in blood the rotten thrones,
Purpled with the people's blood!
Ha! Frightful vengeance to today's tormentors,
Sucking the life out of millions of people.
Ha! Vengeance to the tzars and plutocrats,
And the future's crop harvest will come!

The pianist, one Ignacy Paderewski, commences a speech, but does not finish before troops arrive and arrest the insurgents, marching them off to jail.

EveningAfternoon :
The pilings of trestles on the River Bug, north of Sokolow receive unusual visitors, who repair nothing,  but who do remove some brackets, while leaving several bundles attached to timepieces. Elsewhere, other trestles also receive visitors who depart leaving ticking presents.

Evening : Dresden, Saxony.
Generaloberst Max von Hausen, recieves orders from his King, Generalfeldmarschall King Frederick Augustus of Saxony, Duke of Silesia  rescinding Holiday leave for the Armies of Saxony and Silesia and ordering preparations for exercise near Opplen to be made for the New Year. .

December 27
Saturday

Early morning : Several trestles scattered throughout the western Ukraine suffer mysterious structural damage, leading to complete failure in many cases. Elsewhere, the explosive venting of sewer lines underneath military structures would be substantial cause for concern, but when placed in close proximity to gas mains, the level of concern grows substantially.  Severely alarmed Ukrainian soldiers stumble from blazing barracks only to deduce that the bonfires might have been signals to the waiting partisans now assaulting their barracks.

The Greater Poland Uprising of 1919* had begun. Polish independence groups, led by martial organizations such as the Saxon-trained Rifle Squads, the Polskie Dru?yny Strzeleckie.

With several barracks raided, armories siezed, rail and telegraph lines cut, Poland rose. The initial strikes by  the Polskie Dru?yny Strzeleckie, garned support from Pi?sudski 's Polska Organizacja Wojskowa, and the Zwi?zek Strzelecki . The leadership of the Rifleman's Association and Polish Military Organization having suffered at the hands of the Ukrainians,  the leadership of the  Polskie Dru?yny Strzeleckie prevailed. Depending on whom was doing the fighting, the Kingdom of Poland, the Duchy of Warsaw and the Polish Republic all had adherents, but all had the common goal of a reborn Poland.

While most Ukrainian troops escaped the early hours, their leadership was particularly hard hit, and the  scattered units were isolated. Still, the Ukrainian formations were formidable.

The Elite Grenadier Guard Corps responsible for the Bavarian border, headquartered in Sosnowiec, near the Hapsburg/Bavarian border and covering from Czestochowa to Kielce, with it's supply lines cut in Czestochowa and northeast of Radom.  

The 2nd Rifle Corps in Lublin watching Hapsburg Galicia, with the rail line east to Lvov intact, but the one north to Warsaw and Radom not only cut at the Vistula, but the switching yards seized north of the river, the same yards being the alternate supply route for the Grenadiers.

The 4th Rifle Corps in Lodz was responsible for the ESC and Bavarian border from  Czestochowa to east of Torun, a great expanse lacking lateral communications.

The 11th Rifle Corps in Rovno, watching Hapsburg Galicia and parts of Romania, does not escape unharmed, with it's commanding general slain while with a most inappropriate lover, and a Corp Artillery's magazines detonating in a high order explosion in addition to the harassment experienced elsewhere.

North, in Vilnus, the Guard Cavalry Corps found itself unexpectedly engaged, as this corner of Lithuania had a Polish majority which remembered the Duchy of Warsaw as their last independent state.  Summoning aid from Minsk and Zarasai, the Guards are reinforced from the 4th Cavalry Corps and 6th Rifle Corps.

In reserve, guarding the largest city of the Ukraine, Warsaw held the headquarters of the Opolchenie corps, and the 2nd Polish Lancers. With the railline to Brest down at the Bug, and the trestle to Bialystock badly damaged, these 75,000 troops would still be sufficient to hold the city

*OTL, Dec 27, 1918 was the date.

December 28
Early Sunday, Woshnick, Duchy of Silesia.

The hills to the north of the town are cloaked in snow. The winter has been mild compared to the preceding years, and the snowpack is not thick beneath the scattered trees.  On the hilltop, rearing above the hardwoods stands a watchtower, but despite the moon  it is not visible from town, as silver clouds wreath the hilltops.

A lone road leads east, skirting the foothills and leading to the Ukraine. A rickety split rail fence denotes the border, snaking through the woods towards a valley. There, a small blockhouse serves as home to a squad of border patrolmen, but they play cards on this night, leaving one lonely man with only part of a bottle to watch the blockhouse across the border.

The first signs of activity go ignore. The distant shouts and the muffled sounds of troops marching in snow go unheeded through the thick walls and thicker disinterest. Gunshots shatter the night, as the Ukrainian blockhouse opens fire on shadowy figures emerging from the woodline. Return fire from the figures suppresses the blockhouse as the men work closer,  then a grenade is tossed through the door.  The figures dash forward towards the Silesian border.

A hoarse call from one of the shadowy figures summons a Silesian borderguardsman outside the door.  There a conversation in Polish takes place. The newcomer identifies himself as a lieutenant in the Polskie Dru?yny Strzeleckie, the pro-independence "Rifle Squads". His company attempted to seize a railroad depot south of Czestochowa.  All was going well, except with the Russians pulling out the Ukrainians were shifting troops and a troop train arrived. Chased by infantry from the  Elite Grenadier Guard Corps they have made it to the border.  With the infantry appearing from the far wodline, the border guards wave them through, calling out encouragement in Polish.

The men flit past the fenceline, taking the road heading for Woshnick.  As they march, shots ring out from the approaching infantry. Inside a telegraph taps out it's message, singing a song to distant Tarnowitz. Members of the Rifle Squads attempt a stand at the fence, using it as a breastwork. Several Ukrainians fall, but the stand is shortlived as more Ukrainian infantry pour forth from the woods, firing as they move. The split rail offers little protection, and shortly a pair of dark forms lay slumped on the ground. Bullets spatter the Bavarian blockhouse. Inside the blockhouse the guardsmen return the fire, but the Ukrainians work in teams, with squads leapfrogging forwards. Three Ukrainians fall in the snow, but within minutes the guardsmen abandon their post and flee down the road. A bullet flies across the border, winging down the road, and strikes a borderguardsman in the back, removing a life.

The Rifle squads and guardsmen flee under fire towards Woshnick. Ukrainan troops follow in hot pursuit.

In Tarnowitz, sleepy cavalrymen are rousted from bunks while the alert siren summons those on leave. Soon the cavalrymen of the 21st Regiment, XXVI  Uhlan Kavallarie Division will ride forth towards Woschnick. The light snow turns the road into a white path but impedes the horses little, and they cover the 14 kilometers at a rapid pace.  With the sun barely over the horizon, they see the glow a half hour before they see the the town, the cause of which turns out to be several buildings burning brightly.  The regiment pauses for rest and to allow troops to close up as scouts are sent ahead. At the outskirts of Woschnick civilians are encountered and information gathered.

With the report of two companies of Ukrainian infantry occupying  in town, the regiment deploys for battle.  The machine gun company and a cavalry squadron are detached as a blocking force, commanding the 'golden path'- the valley leading back to the Ukraine. Deciding not to wait for the artillery, the Colonel designates a pair of squadrons as reserve and brings forward two battalions to attack. Functioning as mounted infantry, the cavalry swing through the woods to get close to town before dismounting. Each 4th man holds the reins of the mounts, while the other 3 move towards town.

The Ukrainian infantry has maintained good order in their search and clearance of the town, but have been active for hours. Panicked citizens, the sounds of burning buildings, the occasional shot from hidden Rifle Squad members, all add to the Ukrainians's own sounds to blanket the sounds of horses in snow. Their sentries do not register the Bavarian's approach.

Rittmeister Dietrich von Choltitz's company has the honor of leading the attack, but it is Lt. Hans-Jürgen von Arnim's 9.3mm carbine that first engages, the nervous shot shattering the window next to the suddenly alarmed sentry. As slightly over 700 cavalrymen pour into town, more than just the sentry take alarm. Two companies of exhausted troops, scattered through town, are thrown back. Seasoned troops, well trained and commanded, they rally quickly and heavy fighting develops, but the pressure forces the infantry back. Outnumbered 2:1, a slow retreat through town follows.  An attempt to stand at brick walls of the Church on the south side of town is thwarted when the presence of the 6.5cm horse artillery is felt. When the reserve squadrons begin to make their presence felt, bringing the odds to 3:1, the Ukrainian commanders call a retreat in good order across the valley eastwards.

Moving in squads and using covering fire as they leapfrog in a retrograde action, the badly outnumbered infantry conducts itself well until the staccato of the 13.2mm Mauser TuF MG18s punctuate the night, joined shortly by volleys of carbine fire. Taken from the rear on open ground, the retreat becomes a rout. The infantrymen scatter and take to the woods. Horses are called up and pursuit begins.

note : While there is a valley and town NE of Tarnowitz on Google earth, I'm unsure if that correlates with Woschnick, as names have changed and mapscales are a bit iffy..but close enough.

Munich, later that morning :
A distressed G. von Hertling stares at the telegram that interrupted his breakfast. The news does not aid his digestion. "oh Dear, what will I tell the King?" he mutters. "Perhaps there is some mistake"...

A later telegram, informing him that the 21st Regiment has seized a railway depot on the Czestochowa-Sosnowiec line, accompanied by a casualty list suffered in Woschnick and a report of prisoners causes further consternation.  

Kaiser Kirk

December 31st
Morning : The St. Petersburg papers are reporting that Russia has declared war in the East over the slaying of their citizenry. Reports from the Far East also indicate rumors of the death of Empress-Mother Longyu of the Middle Kingdom.  The effect this will have on the war in the Chinas is unknown at this time.

Afternoon : In St. Petersburg, Vienna and Paris, the Ambassadors from the Ukraine declare that "Due to a history of hostile acts initiated by the High Kingdom of Bavaria, culminating in the recent insurrection and invasion of our western domains, we proclaim that the High Kingdom of Bavaria has declared War on the Ukraine.

Evening : Bavarian ambassadors in St. Petersburg, Vienna and Paris issue a response. "The High Kingdom of Bavaria denounces the Ukrainian proclamation. On December 28th, a Ukrainian invasion of Silesia killed borderguards, destroyed a portion of the town of Woshnick, slew some of that towns citizenry and imperiled the remainder. The Ukrainian troops engaged in this act of war were routed by our Uhlans and pursued across the border. The High Kingdom of Bavaria hereby recognizes that the Ukraine has in fact declared war on our nation.