Ship Drawings et al

Started by Laertes, September 28, 2010, 05:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snip

Out of curiosity, do you have access to Conway's? I know looking around in there help me with getting "correct" dimensions for some designs.
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

TexanCowboy

Quote from: Carthaginian on October 02, 2010, 07:03:48 PM
Wow... 38 feet... most North American ports would not like this ship.
She'd have to stand off several miles from Mobile to take supplies. Probably would have to stay outside Dauphin Island, in fact.

There's a reason most cruise ships in the gulf only have a depth of about 20 feet, and why the CSA never did, at least when I was in charge, post anything larger then a light cruiser in the gulf.

Carthaginian

Quote from: TexanCowboy on October 03, 2010, 03:33:44 PM
Quote from: Carthaginian on October 02, 2010, 07:03:48 PM
Wow... 38 feet... most North American ports would not like this ship.
She'd have to stand off several miles from Mobile to take supplies. Probably would have to stay outside Dauphin Island, in fact.

There's a reason most cruise ships in the gulf only have a depth of about 20 feet, and why the CSA never did, at least when I was in charge, post anything larger then a light cruiser in the gulf.

Mobile is dredged deep enough to handle ships like that... the Gulf is the location that the CSA needs its battleline the most. My solution was just to limit BB draft to 24 feet- hence the fat, shallow BB's.
So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.

Laertes

QuoteOut of curiosity, do you have access to Conway's? I know looking around in there help me with getting "correct" dimensions for some designs.

Sadly not. My local library has, somewhat incongruously, a fairly complete Jane's for 1950 onwards, but nothing earlier. Most of my real-world sim data is coming from Wikipedia's excellent pages on ships, but they don't include superstructure sizes. Ho hum.

snip

Conway's can be found. it has nothing on superstructure but the LxBxD is there for everything
You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Laertes

I can get the hull sizes. I was going with 38' draft in an attempt to establish a signature style (high L/B, low BC, deep keel), not for lack of data; but there does seem to be a lack of data re how large superstructures are. I'm sort of going for a calculated amount based on two numbers:

a) Living/working space for the complement (not having served in the army myself, and not regretting it for an instant, I'm going by civilian numbers and applying a ratio depending on what SS reports as to the upper-deck space availability, minus some for parsimoniousness.)

b) Line drawings of historical ships, which means they come out looking somewhat like historical Royal Navy craft - which should surprise nobody who's heard my opinion of Jackie Fisher.

If there's actually a genuine need for this sort of data, I can do an analysis and post a formula.

Sachmle

Here's a nice CAD drawing of H.M.S. Hood circa 1924 to compare superstructure size from. Notice that that 01 deck goes quite a long way, but the actual superstructure is rather compact, stopping forward of the fore stack.
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Laertes

Wikipedia has a superb line drawing of Hood, which I worked from.

Thanks for moving the thread, btw, Guinness.

Jefgte

You have much designs in WUNDERWAFFE

http://wunderwaffe.narod.ru/

to open drawings Open the cyrilic   ???
"Yeptek... "
"Potorpa..." for the fotos

Jef
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Carthaginian

So 'ere's to you, Fuzzy-Wuzzy, at your 'ome in old Baghdad;
You're a pore benighted 'eathen but a first-class fightin' man;
We gives you your certificate, an' if you want it signed
We'll come an' 'ave a romp with you whenever you're inclined.