French Moneypit.

Started by maddox, September 20, 2010, 09:09:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

I doubt the KM is telling France, even if they (and we can presume the Dutch secret service can) have the plans and say "D'oh"

damocles

Quote from: maddox on September 21, 2010, 01:56:01 AM
I doubt the KM is telling France, even if they (and we can presume the Dutch secret service can) have the plans and say "D'oh"

Of course the NRDN would be working on this. I should note that this is all out of character and is editorial. The other thing is that there is something called disinformation, where a proposed plan is leaked in the hopes that the naive might divert resources to test or fight it.
IC:
(Raises eyebrows.) There are those who think that something like a angled deck battleship carrier hybrid is a good idea. Let them build it and see.  

ctwaterman

Looking at the French Design the Empire likes it of course I would be reducing the number of aircraft and take off will be accomplished in  1921/22 with the use of Gunpoweder Catapults about 4 of them and landing will be accomplished in the lee of the ship.... ;)

Charles
Just Browsing nothing to See Move Along

mentat

- hopefully all Pilots to be issued Fireproof Underwear + Life Jackets ......   :D

maddox

Quote from: mentat on September 23, 2010, 08:25:58 AM

- hopefully all Pilots to be issued Fireproof Underwear + Life Jackets ......   :D

Quote100ton Crew Comfort
200 ton firefighting and damage control facilities (paranoïa with all that avgas)
I believe in that 300 ton total there could be a ton or 2 for asbestos diapers.

snip

You smug-faced crowds with kindling eye
Who cheer when solider lads march by
Sneak home and pray that you'll never know
The hell where youth and laughter go.
-Siegfried Sassoon

Blooded

Well... it certainly looks.... er..... French.  ;D
"The black earth was sown with bones and watered with blood... for a harvest of sorrow on the land of Rus'. "
   -The Armament of Igor

snip

that was the idea. the pic is messing with the gun scale really bad, they should all be the same size. Guess its what i get for using CAD instead of paint.
-Siegfried Sassoon

mentat

- the only Ffffrrrrench elements missing:

- Quads - doable??

- Tumblehome - but alas does not fit with either Quads or Flight Deck  >:( :'(

maddox

Personal preference about the quads.  Quad 15" turrets are about directly interchangable on the ship according to Springsharp.

And tumblehome is possible, just means the upper hull will slope inwards to the diameter of the barbettes, with the armored boxes of the secundaries zipping up as warts.  But I'm afraid that's a tad above my drawing skills, and I'm afraid Snip, who dit a good job won't be happy to change the design.

snip

and considering I have no idea what Tumblehome is I would need a reference drawing most likly. One of the early tries at this one looked like Shintano, and Essex and Dunkirk got way wasted at a party and ended up together...
-Siegfried Sassoon

damocles

Quote from: snip on September 24, 2010, 10:00:02 AM
and considering I have no idea what Tumblehome is I would need a reference drawing most likly. One of the early tries at this one looked like Shintano, and Essex and Dunkirk got way wasted at a party and ended up together...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tumblehome

The beam of a ship narrows from the water line as you follow the cross section curve up to the weather deck. It has enormous stability advantages in rolling moment, but it also has one very deadly liability. If you heel over too far you cannot recover  as you might with a U hull or a flared V. You head straight for the bottom as the Russians discovered at Tsushima. 

maddox

The lower buoyancy reserve of the upper hull is another danger. Once the hull lowers in the water due damage, every mm lower gives less floation than the previous one, so, even sinking on an even keel goes from "slow" to fast.

In effect tumblehome is an elegant solution to save topweight, makes a "fierce" looking vessel, but is not a recommended style for warships.

It's one of the big objections to the modern wavepiercing desings for use in warships.

snip

seems like it would be really hard to draw...i think its a bit beyond what I can do with a 2D program. The one I have does have 3D capabilaties, but I have no idea how they work ???
-Siegfried Sassoon

Logi

I have a few 3d programs specifically for ships, but creating such ships would take more than a while, time I'm not inclined to give away at this busy moment.