Brainstorming: Introducing new player nations

Started by The Rock Doctor, March 01, 2007, 01:10:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P3D

A new map would mean that we are redrawing the borders from clear start. So nations can even change continents not just borders.

I'd like to keep Tolkien-based stuff to Rohan if possible. It's up to each country what national mythology they believe, but it should not be the basis of the world.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Ithekro

Basically it has, just the images presented...and the unusual name of Van Owen's nation lead me to call them "half-elves" for simplicity.  No one else did, so it remained a Rohan label/legend.  The new lands will be deturmined later, but some naming conventions per nation are appopreate depending on there location, size, and whatnots.

I kind of like my borders, but we'll see what is offered.

P3D

If Rohan decides to stay in North America, It would get the Western shore of North America, from Alaska to Baja California. However, being a fantasy nation, we could just put it on a separate continent that might even closely resemble the Middle Earth map.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

swamphen

Hmm. If Brandenburg is to return, then perhaps as a new South Pacific continent...replacing all those little islands, perhaps. ;)

Also the 'German rulers expelled from Europe' should probably be moved back in time...say 13th/14th century?

(Perhaps New Switzerland could have Australia?)

Ithekro

Interesting.  I was thinking of keeping the native american influance since there are places to make it work, but to actually have Middle Earth in the present...and thus not need to justify locations in real world terms....hmmmm.

Let us see how the rest of the players think and what they want before I commit down that road...at least Middle Earth is mapped in many places (including the "Atlas of Middle-Earth" by Karen Wynn Fonstad, which I've been using along with the novels for names and places).

P3D

Borys and I started to think about a new sim one or two week ago. I made a forum for the world building discussion. We were thinking there about a rebooted scenario, so we started from the stove, some of which we can use here.

Some changes are:
- Egypt revolted from Byzantian rule around 600AD, this coincided with the death of the Emperor and a crisis  in Byzantium. By the time Byzantium decided to reconquer Egypt, the Arabs started carve their empire, and were occupied elsewhere. As people are reluctant to play muslim countries, we have two more possible nations of choice.
- the New World was discovered in the XIIIth century, and the wave of colonization happened before the plague viped off half of the European population. There are German colonies in the New World. The result is a larger population outside Europe.

I think we should give Borys the task of being in charge of the map, he was working on it. And he is sleeping, so he cannot object right now ;).  And I'd rather have one or two persons working (with inputs from others but having the last say in it) on it than a dozen, each with a different vision.

Desertfox will be able to pick some pacific power from the several available ones.

Desertfox

Just to show what can be done with a map. This one is only slightly larger than the world.

As for New Switzerland...Ill wait to see how the world shapes up before deciding. I might even go with a Mexican Empire or something else (Israeli Empire, Carthage, Persian Empire, Enlarged Kingdom of Siam etc, etc.). But if I go with New Switzerland, Id like to be able to create the main islands, they would be between New Zealand and the Phillipines in size, and preferably located in mid Pacific (if we go with the world) 
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

P3D

Please do not put maps here, otherwise I will feel obliged to deleting them.

Ithekro

Well that style leaves most of the remaining player's nations intact.  But these are just concepts and ideas for Borys to play with I suppose.

Keeping what we've worked on (for those of us that have a lot of work done) would be key.  Swamphen and I did the Navalism maps for the most part in the past.  Mostly Swamphen of the global maps and I tried to detail things where I could...but we'd miss things (Bulgaria comes to mind).  But since we were working with an existing world it made it a little easier, as we had rivers and mountains to form borders with and several existing nations or states to help mark of boundries without having to draw something from scratch.

Don't worry about the maps so much P3D...they're in the class of concept art at this time.  Not even close to storyboard or approved piece.  No need to be heavy handed...that's what got us here to some extent.

P3D

Well  >:(, I can try to be a little less heavyhanded :P.

Ithekro

No worries.  When we have a real map it will have its own thread or even section to show details I would think.  Depending on the location players might need to detail their country's own maps (I've done this for Rohan and a few others to get clear borders and to locate places of interest verses the real world).   Origianlly the players either picked an existing country (rare) or were placed in a location by the moderator (Rocky at the time), where the player would adapt to the new location based on his or her starting points (turning to the moderator beforehand).  The player gave what specifics they wanted to the mod for placement if they wanted.  I stated I needed open lands useable by horses if the nation is to be Rohan.  I was handed Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montanta, and Wyoming. and the colony of Nicaragua.  I negotiated the present borders based on the age of the nation, use of natural borders verse homestead act borders, and theoretical mechanics between my neighbors.  It seems to have worked fairly well in at least one case.  I don't know how it worked out for everyone else.

Desertfox

Just trowing ideas around, something for us to discuss and for Borys to work with.

That is one reason I would like to keep with something resembling Earth. It gives you mountains and rivers to work with, but it can be modified if need be, like the river in Angola.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Earl822

If we stick with the earth roughly as we know it, I've got a sort of British Empire that is almost Solely around the North Atlantic & the North Sea planned out (don't ask me why, I just like the idea.)

maddox

If we want to think really "HUMONGOUS" why not a ringworld?

Borys