Historical Gun Data

Started by Nobody, September 17, 2011, 02:23:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nobody

I digitalized (due to lots of errors of different kind I had to type all of it) the NavWeaps data for most of the listed German, British, French, US and Japanese guns. It's not easily presented and it would be best if you asked what you want to see (e.g. by PM) and I'll see if I can visualize it adequately.

Let's start with the shell weight (or rather the density quotient mass/caliberĀ³*), how it developed over time, how it varies depending on gun caliber and for the mentioned nations.

*) SpringSharp uses a rather low value btw

Nobody

One more unasked figure. Barrel length depending on caliber over time.
Note the 6"/50 in 1884!

EDIT
Did no one notice that the picture was missing?

Nobody

Nobody

First picture:
"Energy Density", I think that's the value Logi mentioned increasing over time (but in metric units). The figure on the right shows that it is actually non-linear.

Second picture:
"Pressure2", shows how the design pressure for new guns grew over time (right side) and length (left side).

Third picture:
"Pressure3", shows that while the "average pressure"(left) increased over time the "utilization"(right) - that is the quotient design/average pressure - decreased. This might be surprising, but actually shows that the energy efficiency increased.

Forth picture:
"Pressure1", see above. Decreasing utilization(left), but increasing average pressure(right) with increasing barrel length.

P.S.:
Sorry for this rather confusing arrangement, but I don't like editing pictures very much.