Main Menu

Orange News

Started by Nobody, February 12, 2010, 09:35:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jefgte

NUS will not attend & hope good luck for the next meeting.
"You French are fighting for money, while we English are fighting for honor!"
"Everyone is fighting for what they miss. "
Surcouf

Nobody

The Orange Republic declares that all Zionist refugees are welcome and free to help the rebuilding of the XXVIth army corp.

Orange Minister for home affairs

*all interested in the future of New Zion are informed, that a decision has to be made before the end of August 1919*

damocles

Quote from: Nobody on July 03, 2010, 09:27:03 AM
The Orange Republic declares that all Zionist refugees are welcome and free to help the rebuilding of the XXVIth army corp.

Orange Minister for home affairs

*all interested in the future of New Zion are informed, that a decision has to be made before the end of August 1919*

Expecting the offer to be rejected, the Dutch would send a representative just to at least say they tried to end the madness.

Nobody

Early September 1919
Pretoria, chancellor bureau
"So it seems they decided on a ceasefire arrangement and negotiations? Good, that means we don't have to get involved after all. What's the progress of our own collusions?"
"Not good chancellor, too many difficulties and details. Seems like the only thing we can agree on is that we can't decide on certain actions and that we can't wait any longer. Successful peace negotiation would be the best that could happen."

Wednesday 17th September 1919
Pretoria, government conference room
"What do you mean the negotiations broke?" asked Dr. Bloemendal his ministers state security and foreign affairs. "Exactly what we said, sir. It's nothing official yet, but it seems that at least one of the involved parties saw no further opportunities and left."
"Just great. I don't care how you do it, but I want to know what happened there. And don't just ask one side I want to know as many views about this incident that you can get.
And I will have to write a petition for the Senate. They will have to decide on a course of action if that war isn't over by the end of September."

Nobody

Starting August 1919 and during September large scale troop movements can be observed throughout the Republic. Extra trains are moving thousands of soldiers around, brigades marching through townships and reservists are being called to theirs local barracks for refreshing courses on the weekends. While these actions are evident for nearly anyone inside the country the papers remain silent.

Kaap Kourier
According to some unconfirmed reports, the harbor of Masirah (Oman) which was rented and used by New Switzerland from Romania, has been attacked and sized by a combined fleet of Ottoman and Dutch vessels. At this point the Swiss had already abandoned this outpost for some time.
Dutch claims, that the Swiss massacred the local population and destroyed the infrastructure before they left are mostly viewed as vast exaggeration, sometimes even as a conspiracy against the swiss - the only country that came to aid the Zionist so far in this war - and have so far not even confirmed by the Ottomans or the Oman himself.

OOC regarding the "who knows what" discussion:
I will continue to write things from which I think they might be interesting for you (which happens rarely enough anyway) even if you can't know them, and rely on your common sense how (not) to use them.
If you want to use information which is clearly not public knowledge I would expect you either approach me with a storyline or ask the dice (a moderator) for the outcome of your operation to get this information (including a total failure that exposes you source)

Nobody

August 1919, department for foreign affairs
"Sir, we finally got confirmation from the Republic of China regarding the details of the export auction they won a few months ago."
"It should be within our expectations, should it not?"
"Well, they didn't change their order, but it seems they are now at war with the Middle Kingdom, and claim to be unable to pay the agreed sum on time."
"Again? Just great. And how do they want to pay?"
"They request a credit with low interest, and as a safety measure they offer the city of 'Shantou'".
"The senate will want to have a word in this, but we don't really have much choice, do we?"
"No Sir, most of the material has already been ordered."
"Very well, proceed."

Kaap Kourier, Thursday October 2nd, 1919
Yesterday, the newest vessel of the Orange Navy the battleship "Kaap Delgado", one of the most powerful and best protected ships in the world, was quietly commissioned.
Due to the ongoing fighting in the region the planned festivities have been canceled. In case the has ended before the end of the year, the navy now plans a grand celebration with international participation for the commission of the sister ship "Cabora Bassa" in January 1920.

The Rock Doctor

Interesting that RRC is willing to put up one of its cities as collateral on a deal.

Logi

I presume it did not mean he got the city. I presume it is akin to him having temporary control of a portion of the city. It is not extensive to the point of the Shanghai treaty.

Shantou is also not an especially important city. it never was. Though there is the parallel of it being used as one of the Treaty Ports (under the Opium War, Open Ports etc.) irl. Hmmm ;)

I expect it to be fairly small of a city in N-Verse due to no Treaty-Trade Port significance.

Nobody

Mid November 1919, Chancellery department
"Gentleman, this war in the rift sea is over. How did it go for us?" began chancellor Dr. Bloemendal. "On the plus side we didn't get involved, and therefore didn't loose any troops or ships. And most importantly we didn't have to march through the Congo to get there" answered the minister for foreign affairs, Christiaan Smuts. "That might be so, but the disruption of trade routes in the area will have a significant impact on our economy in the near future" continued the minister Sorgenfrey, responsible for Treasury, Trade and Industry. "I admit that it had advantages not be be caught up in a fight that might have easily turned in a word wide war, but let's not forget that the Italians won this war, and now pretty much own New Zion" added Willem Kreutzer, minister for State Security. "So we got ourselves a bloody nose but evaded a major crises?" concluded the chancellor - "Yes that might be correct, especially from a foreign point of view" admitted minister Smuts.
"Let's move on to the next point on out agenda" continued the chancellor. "How are the preparations for the festivities of the Cabora Bassa progressing?" he asked towards minister Kreutzer and Richard Hertzog, the minister for home affairs. "The preparations were on hold during the war, and have only just restarted. Invitation to all major and friendly powers will be sent out shortly. In the meantime we got suggestions advance the program with some sort of naval competition." "You mean, like ... a Race?" "For example, yes. With international competition."
"About the taxes... "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OOC:
So if anyone is interested, write me your entries. I thought of three classes (Battleship, Battlecruiser and Torpedoboat/Destroyer), oh and add a type of competition you would like to see(or win ^^). Who knows I might actually do this. Oh and I might need an independent commentator - anyone interested?

TexanCowboy

OOC:
So if anyone is interested, write me your entries. I thought of three classes (Battleship, Battlecruiser and Torpedoboat/Destroyer), oh and add a type of competition you would like to see(or win ^^). Who knows I might actually do this. Oh and I might need an independent commentator - anyone interested?

A race? What sort of race? *noms possible contestants*

P3D

And the "Producing the furthest flying shrapnel from BB magazine explosion award goes to..."
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Guinness

I think a "race" for fastest ship buildable by a nation with current tech using SS and our shipbuilding rules would be interesting. Sadly, I don't think the Ottomans, with 1916 engine tech would be competitive, by who knows.

My guess is the winner would likely be built to the TB/DD rules.

If you want to do Battleship/Battlecruiser, I suggest ditching the BB category entirely and just say "capital ship".

TexanCowboy

Quote from: P3D on November 10, 2010, 05:15:45 PM
And the "Producing the furthest flying shrapnel from BB magazine explosion award goes to..."

Romania. Fortunatly, Gran Columbia is at least a good 2,000 nm away from Romania....probebly still not far enough. :)

Nobody

I forgot to mention the date. The event is supposed to take place in January 1920.

OOC:
Quote from: TexanCowboy on November 10, 2010, 04:41:05 PM
A race? What sort of race? *noms possible contestants*
Not entirely sure yet, that's why I asked for the contestant opinions. Possibilities (I thought of) are
  • speed ("drag") race over n nautical miles
  • maneuverability test
  • artillery test(s)

Quote from: P3D on November 10, 2010, 05:15:45 PM
    If your ships manages to score several zeros (=faults) in a row during an artillery exercise, I would have to ask you to think about the consequences...

Quote from: Guinness on November 10, 2010, 07:26:19 PM
    I think a "race" for fastest ship buildable by a nation with current tech using SS and our shipbuilding rules would be interesting. Sadly, I don't think the Ottomans, with 1916 engine tech would be competitive, by who knows.

My guess is the winner would likely be built to the TB/DD rules.

If you want to do Battleship/Battlecruiser, I suggest ditching the BB category entirely and just say "capital ship".
    Only ships that can get there, to Durban, by the second week of January can compete.

Only ships that can be count to the same class will compete against each other, to race a battleship and a battlecruiser in the same class is pointless (I think).

Luck, aka moderator dice rolls, will be a major factor (aside from SpringSharp numbers of course), and I wouldn't be surprised if the winner of the maneuverability test would be a ship with reciprocating engines.

Depending on the number of participating nations, I would have to ask for only on entry per country and class. If there are few participants, several entries per country and class are possible.

maddox

France sends in  2 Leopard Class DD's.