Brandenburg, Firanji and New Switzerland

Started by miketr, June 09, 2009, 09:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Desertfox

Forgot the scale on that map, the distance between Phoenix and Olympia is about 100 miles.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Blooded

Hello,

You may want to change the scale. Your archipelago is around 1200 miles across(The phillipines would be around 800). Your 'main' Island is around 300 x 300 miles(around the size of England and bigger than Luzon) and the eastern island is still bigger.

Looking at the 'master' map the islands look smaller than the Phillipines. Say 500 x 400 miles.

It would be unlikely that most of the islands would be uninhabited. In fact that just invites other nations to setup camp as you are spread too thin.

Cant say I am a fan of the naming conventions. Mostly Greek with English ??? Dutch and ??? Russian? Odd.

"The black earth was sown with bones and watered with blood... for a harvest of sorrow on the land of Rus'. "
   -The Armament of Igor

Desertfox

Well the archipelago is supposed to be around Phillipine's size in terms of area. Ariel started out as Luzon but is a bit bigger. Taking the original map I used the scale remained the same. I added a map of the Phillipines for comparision.

Only Miranda and Shadow would be relatively uninhabited. All the others would have sizable populations, but the majority would be in Ariel and Persephone.

Most of the names come from the Firefly universe, I will be using more "Swiss" names for cities, once I get around to that.
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Blooded

Hello,

I was using your scale of 100 miles between Phoenix and Olympia as the basis for my guesstimates. Based on the side by side maps(on the last page) the distance between Phoenix and Olympia should be around 70 miles.

The side by side map is still big compared to the 'Master' map. The Phillipines come out to 26-28 pixels tall on the 'master' and NS is 20 pixels wide by 17 tall. So around 2/3 to 3/4 the size(maximum length) of the Phillipines. Maintaining this ratio is important if the NS home islands are to have around the same overall area as the Phillipines since NS has more of a triangle shape instead of the thick 'strip' of islands of the Phillipines. As it is now NS would have 33-50% more area.

Thanks for detailing out the NS Home Islands BTW. Good Job!  :)

Walter.. I have always loved the 'Death Star' Moon. Thanks for bringing up the pic.
"The black earth was sown with bones and watered with blood... for a harvest of sorrow on the land of Rus'. "
   -The Armament of Igor