Who dares not put it to the touch,
To win or lose it all!"

James Graham, 5th Earl of Montrose
1612 to 1650
Royalist General during the English Civil War

Nobody

As the title says, I just couldn't resist:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivBqQR_WCeA
If you're not interested in a (short) German lesson, jump to ~1:05.
YES that is one word, but one should add that it's a word which was specially composed to be as long as as possible (children compete in trying to create such words) and is of no use in daily life. Oh and if you wanted to say that word correctly, you would of course not be allowed to breath until you're finished.

On a different subject, dialects.
Yesterday I heard on TV someone commenting to a scene were people were talking in their dialect: "Isn't that nice, they are in Germany speaking German and I can't understand a word. That's what I would call a world cultural heritage."

So my question to you: Did that ever happen to you, that people were clearly speaking a dialect of your language and you couldn't understand a word they were saying?

Guinness

That happens to me all the time. I live in the American South.  ;)

Korpen

One of the longer words in Swedish: Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterielunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskussionsinläggsförberedelsearbeten.  8)
Try and guess what it means. ;)
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Nobody

Quote from: Korpen on August 04, 2011, 07:33:31 AM
One of the longer words in Swedish: Nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterielunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskussionsinläggsförberedelsearbeten.  8)
So you compile words in Swedish as well? I bet that wouldn't be much shorter in German ;-)
My guess: north easter coast artillery voltage simulation installation material support system discussion length assist(?) works.
Does it actually mean something? Or is it just gibberish?

And for comparison the word he tried to say in German:
Oberdonaukanaldampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänskajütenschlüsselbundanhänger.
Try guessing that meaning? (And it does have one! as it is an over-precise description of a certain object)

Walter

QuoteDid that ever happen to you, that people were clearly speaking a dialect of your language and you couldn't understand a word they were saying?
Well, the only place in the Netherlands where I don't understand the people when they talk the way they normally talk is in the areas where they speak Frisian. But Frisian is a language on its own rather than a dialect (a "sister language" according to wiki).
When I was in the army, there were two guys from Friesland in the platoon and during one of the maintenance sessions of the vehicles of the platoon, the two of them were discussing the maintenance procedures with each other in Frisian (at least I think it was probably about maintenance procedures as I could not understand a word they were saying). Funny thing is that when I watch something from that area's regional news, with the subtitles I can actually pick up the all the words they are saying a lot better. The same is true with Afrikaans.

Korpen

Quote from: Nobody on August 04, 2011, 08:12:08 AM
Quote from: Korpen on August 04, 2011, 07:33:31 AM
So you compile words in Swedish as well? I bet that wouldn't be much shorter in German ;-)
My guess: north easter coast artillery voltage simulation installation material support system discussion length assist(?) works.
Does it actually mean something? Or is it just gibberish?
It is not gibberish, a tip would be to try and read it as german that is extreamly misspelled (that at least works in reverse quite allot of the time).

QuoteOberdonaukanaldampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitänskajütenschlüsselbundanhänger.
Without using google or any translation i would say: It is someting hanging around in the captains cabin on a canalboat and used when in a lock (sluss).

Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

Walter

It is actually "schlüssel" = key

With my rusty German...
Oberdonau canal steam shipping company's captain's cabin keyring hanger (more likely a hook)

Sachmle

@Nobody: Is it the place where the Captain of a vessel of the Upper Danube Steamship Company hangs the keys to his cabin?
"All treaties between great states cease to be binding when they come in conflict with the struggle for existence."
Otto von Bismarck

"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
Kaiser Wilhelm

"If stupidity were painfull I would be deaf from all the screaming." Sam A. Grim

Walter

Probably that.

Being a "schlüsselbund" (keyring), it could also include keys to other things in his cabin (wardrobe, desk, chest, etc) or it could be a keyring with all the ship's keys on it which is supposed to be in the Captain's cabin at all times.

Nobody

Quote from: Korpen on August 04, 2011, 08:24:12 AM
a tip would be to try and read it as german that is extreamly misspelled (that at least works in reverse quite allot of the time).
That's what I tried Korpen. Anyway my translation didn't become any better by further translating it to English. My translation is not becoming any better.

You are right with
The upper Danube canal steamship sompany and the captain's cabin.
However its not a hook or a place to find that key. A Schlüsselbund is a bunch keys, a Schlüssel(bund)anhänger is something you add to a (or several) key(s), e.g. a sign or a souvenir. And while the English translation is keychain, I'm not sure it means entirely the same.

Ithekro

Of course there is the question of,"why does that need to be it's own word"?

Borys

Ahoj!
How one cannot love the American South?
QuoteSuch news of an amicable settlement having made this Court happier than a tick on a fat dog because it is otherwise busier than a one legged cat in a sand box and, quite frankly, would have rather jumped naked off of a twelve foot step ladder into a five gallon bucket of porcupines than have presided over a two week trial of the herein dispute, a trial which, no doubt, would have made the jury more confused than a hungry baby in a topless bar and made the parties and their attorneys madder than mosquitoes in a mannequin factory ...

The jury trial scheduled herein for July 13, 2011 is hereby CANCELED [and] ...

The Clerk shall engage the services of a structural engineer to ascertain if the return of this file to the Clerk's office will exceed the maximum structural load of the floors of said office.

http://www.loweringthebar.net/2011/08/news-of-settlement-makes-court-happier-than-a-tick-on-a-fat-dog.html
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Guinness

Disappointing that they don't say what court the order came from.

Borys

Kentucky.
Klick on the link to the tick on fat dog, which links to a pdf file.
http://kevinunderhill.typepad.com/lowering_the_bar/court-orders-of-note.html
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!