Iberian News 1914 - Onwards

Started by miketr, November 19, 2008, 02:47:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketr

Election Results 1915

........Canarias..Brazil..Philippines..Portugal...Puerto Rico..Spain......National Total...Change   
PTC.....0.........10......0............0..........0............3..........13...............-1
PSOI....0.........2.......3............1..........0............9..........15...............-1
PCI.....B.........B.......B............B..........B............B..........BANNED...........NA
UCD.....0.........1.......0............0..........0............3..........4................-5
CCA.....1.........13......2............2..........2............11.........31...............+2
PI......0.........5.......3............1..........0............8..........17...............+1
PNS.....0.........9.......1............8..........0............5..........23...............+5
PA......0.........0.......5............0..........0............1..........6................+1
PPA.....B.........B.......B............B..........B............B..........BANNED...........NA

Seats in Parliment
Prov T..1.........40......14...........12.........2............40.0.......109

Party...Seats.Provincial Parliments major party
CCA.....31....Canarias, Brazil, Puerto Rico, Spain
PNS.....23....Portugal
PI......17....
PSOI....15....
PTC.....13....
PA......6.....Philippines
UCD.....4.....
PCI.....BANNED
PPA.....BANNED

The Rock Doctor

Gran Colombia would be satisfied with those results...

miketr

News 1916

Military News
January 5th
With the East Africa War full resolved and matters stable in Bharat the 3rd Cruiser Squadron made of the Henrique o Navegador and Cristóbal Colón leave the Indian Ocean for European Iberian for a mid life refit and overhaul.

Political News
Despite the election being resolved well over a month ago a new government still hasn't been announced.  The constitution provides no deadline but many are wondering what to make of the delay.  Rumors hold that there is some problem with making a deal with the Partido Nacional-Sindicalista or rather no deal has been offered and the Confederación de Cristiano Autónomas and Partido Ibéria lack enough votes to form a government by themselves.  Which leaves either the parties of the left or both minor parties are needed to get the needed 55 votes.

miketr

Palace in Madrid
Meeting of Council of State
April 20th

Emperor, HIRH Jamie
Prime Minister of Iberia, Don Felipe González y Márquez
Foreign Minister, Diogo Freitas do Amaral
Head of the Army, General de Ejército Julio Macías y Santander
Head of the Navy, Almirante Antonio Bermejo

The Emperor tapped his fingers on the polished oak table, "So where do things stand with the French?"

Da Silver looked up from his notes, "Things could be better you of course talked to the Ambassador on the 17th majesty and I will be traveling to Paris to explain further to the French.  For now that should have matters returned to something like normal."

The Emperor nodded and then opened his own letter, "As you all know I have been trying to setup talks through my father inlaw the King of Bavaria with the Dutch.  Our ambassador in Munich informs me the Dutch are only willing to meet us in their territory and by a 2nd level minister."

Don Felipe smiled, "That's excellent we should send a similar ranked minister of course..."

The Emperor cut off the Prime Minister, "I have already told the Bavarians to drop the matter."

The Foreign Minister merely grimaced while the Prime Minister openly frowned, "Majesty that might be a little hasty."

"Don Felipe do you want us to look like we are going crawling to the Dutch?  Didn't you spend some time explaining to me that a meeting had to be on neutral ground if for no other reason so we would have witnesses to anything said?"  The Emperor Demanded.

*SIGH* The Prime Minister nodded, "Yes but lower level talks we could better disavow if need be."

The Emperor shook his head, "No we have too many other issues to deal with right now and we aren't going to waste capital chasing after phantoms if the Dutch are serious they can meet on neutral ground."

To be continued...

miketr

José Aguilera y Montilla; Iberian Envoy
Vicente Herrera; Iberian Minister Resident in Burma

June 2nd, 1916 The Iberian 8th Cruiser Squadron enters Rangoon; the two ships HIIMAS Apra and HIIMS Colonia returning from the Philippines after their hulls were cleaned and a general maintenance following their long cruise in the Indian Ocean earlier this year.  The cruisers have return to monitor the fragile peace in the region and to support a diplomatic mission to the government of King Thibaw Min.

Iberian Diplomatic Mission in Rangoon

Minister Herrera sat in a wicker chair and fanned himself while reading the instructions that José Aguilera y Montilla brought with him.  As Herrera read a page he would transfer it to his left hand and used it as a fan to attempt to cool himself.  "So Mr. Aguilera home has sent you here to work out some type of friendship treaty with Burma too how did the Minister in Madrid put it...  Ah yes to 'Advance Iberian Commercial, Diplomatic and Military interests by strengthening ties with Burma.'"

Across the table José Aguilera nodded and then said, "That is correct and I trust I can count on your full support?"

Minister Herrera pored himself a drink as he answered, "Of course, of course you are senior as long as you are on this mission of yours.  How may I be of help?"

José Aguilera smiled and asked, "I need you to get me into a meeting with a senior minister and not going through things layer by layer."

After taking a sip from the glass Herrera resumed fanning himself as he answered, "That is going to be a bit a problem Mr. Aguilera.  It might have escaped Madrid's notice but we don't have a huge amount of influence here and second the King is dying."

Aguilera shrugged and responded, "From what I have read he has been dying for the past 10 years but he still managed to have another child... another daughter I believe last year.  What makes you think things are different now?"

"Another daughter is the key part, the King has no living sons and dynastic and political alliances are being made.  If the kings time isn't about to run out people are planning like it is; that much is certain."  The resident replied.

Leaning forward Aguilera asked, "I was aware in general terms that the locals are playing a game of thrones.  The leading candidate was Ka Naung I thought and he has an impressive power base."

Herrera paused in his fanning and leaned back into the chair, which creaked at the movement, "The Prince is powerful, he is a great grandson of King Tharrawaddy Min and his grand father was Crown Prince Ka Naung, the current prince is named for his grandfather by the way, the elder prince was assassinated in a bit of bloody palace intrigue.  The Prince is wealthy owning a number of plantations, gem mines and interests in railroads, has a rather impressive political following in the capital and of course as a general in the army.  So he has a great number of bayonets if it comes to that."

"But?"

"But the prince has made his share of enemies.  He traveled a great deal as a young man and even got a degree through correspondence courses from a University in France.  He has brought in foreign tutors for his own children and wants reforms to modernize the nation.  More railroads, establishment of modern industry, some political reforms but mostly economic and military. Reforms and updating of the kingdoms laws and government structure. His desires have annoyed a number of traditionalists.  They see him as a threat to the established order."

Aguilera leaned forward and asked, "So who is the opposition to Prince Ka Naung?"

The resident minister gave a passive shrug, "Anyone of a half dozen other royals including some not in line to inherit, recall that palace intrigue that killed Ka Naung's name sake?"  With a nod from his visitor Herrera continued on. "Well King Tharrawaddy Min was attempting to clear up the succession back in 1866, he had declared Ka Naung's name sake heir in 1853 but in '66 he cut a number of his other sons, brothers and nephews out of line all together.  Some reacted poorly attempted a coup and killed Crown Prince Naung and number of others before it was put down.  Since then the last two kings haven't named a Crown Prince till on their death beds and Thibaw has followed suit.  So we have those who want the throne for themselves and those who fear a Ka Naung reign I understand are attempting to influence the king by ideally getting him to exile Ka Naung or at least name some one different.  You also have the wives and daughters peddling influence to the highest bidder."

Aguilera slowly nodded, "I see the government itself is sounds like its fairly districted.  You mentioned wives and daughters?  I take it they have influence beyond the succession."

Herrera gave another of his shrugs and resumed fanning himself once more, "No where near as much as they would like there are too many of them for one and they fight each other so they aren't very effective out side of the palace.  The permanent bureaucracy is running things but many of them don't care for Ka Naung or his ideas on modernizing the government.  The bureaucracy is distracted by the succession but if there an active player in it or not I don't know.  So yes they are unlikely to have the time or inclination to deal with your mission."

Aguilera gave his own shrug, "That's fine lets just cut to chase.  Can you setup a meeting with Prince Ka Naung?"

To be continued...

miketr

June 5th Pegu (Bago), Burma
"...In 1757 King Alaungpaya re-conquered this city, sacked it and in the process virtually destroyed it.  It wasn't till the reign of King Bodawpaya over 30 years later that the city was restored but the river had shifted and left it largely land locked..." Prince Ka Naung continued on with his impromptu history lesson for his visitors and at the same time avoided talking about anything of consequence.

At last an opening appeared for the Iberian envoy.  "...So the city had never regained its former standing but in the last decade things have changed.  Income from the rice fields, sugarcane and more recently petroleum have given great wealth and allowed something of a renaissance for the city."   

Jumping into the pause José Aguilera said, "A renaissance that could be expanded and not to just this one city Highness with the correct economic backing to allow additional investment.  Burma already exports vast amounts of rice, tropical woods and some oil but there are other crops that could be cultivated such as cotton, rubber and tobacco to expand and diversify your economy.  Plus your oil industry and exports could be expanded more..."

"Increasing the wealth of the Kingdom is a good course to be followed Mr. Aguilera but it has to be done in the right way.  Soon we will arrive at the Shwethalyaung Buddha the largest statue of Buddha in Burma and one of the largest in the world..."  The prince answered and then turned the topic back to the wonders of city.

June 9th, Pegu (Bago), Burma

José Aguilera was becoming frustrated he had been talking to the prince for several days now but had made little headway.  While he had been able to have conversations in general he couldn't get the prince into specifics.  Today would no doubt be more of the same when his thoughts were interupted by his aid,  "Minister! I have a message from Resident Herrera in Rangoon!"

"Something from Madrid?" Aguilera asked.

"No Minister there was some type of incident between the Burmese Army and the Republican Chinese Army.  Word just came in today from the highlands in the north."

Aguilera stood up at once, "I need to meet the Prince at once..."

A short time later in a private room.

"Highness I understand there has been an incident between your nations army and the Republican Chinese Army.  If I might ask what has happened?"  Aguilera asked in his most calm and reasonable voice.

The prince for the first time looked distracted and paused before replying, "It's not clear Mr. Aguilera but it appears that Chinese troops near the border were killed.  Mostly like smugglers and other criminals that operate in the highlands between our two countries.  Since the split-up of the Middle Kingdom they have been very active.  After that incident the Chinese have started to shoot anything and in some cases crossing the border.  Of course this is all several days out of date and so I need to return to Palace and speak to the King.  This could get out of hand quickly..."

"I am sure my government will do what it can to help to mitigate this misunderstanding Highness.  If possible I would like to go with you and do what I can to help."

The prince gave a brief nod...

To be continued...

miketr

June 10th, Rangoon

The trip on the train back to Rangoon had been quick, a few hours but productive one for José Aguilera.  He had 20 minutes alone with the prince to talk about the situation.  The most worrisome was the Government the King it seems was having a bad time and wasn't providing any direction and the government while not exactly frozen wasn't reacting with the vigor it should.  Yes they mobilized the army and screamed to Beijing for help but the diminished Middle Kingdom appeared to have turned inward and was ignoring the situation.  The prince had received a very complete briefing from his people on the way in and he had been allowed to stay.

"Highness we will arrive at the city central station in 10 minutes."  A nameless functionary said.

The prince nodded and dismissed the functionary.  One of the princess aids glanced at the Iberian but then spoke, "Highness you need to speak to the king as soon as possible and get him to name you the heir in fact; we need strong leadership.  Leadership that the king simply cannot or will not provide; the future of the Kingdom is at stake here."

The Prince spoke, "Yes the future of the Kingdom is at stake but a misstep will also doom us; but yes anything starts with the King.  I shall meet my cousin as soon as possible."  Turning to the Iberian, "Mr. Aguilera contact your government and see if they are willing to mediate."

"Of course Highness but it might take a little time to get an answer."  The Iberian Diplomat replied.

Iberian Residence

Vicente Herrera, "Madrid wants to know what if any progress you have made with Burma Aguilera?"

José Aguilera moved his hand through his hair, "Some...  The Prince is going to talk to the king and see what type of resolve the government has.  Some of his aids were openly suggesting that he should seize the throne to provide unity and strong leadership."

Herrera looked horrified, "What did you say to that?  Worse did you suggest that he should?"

Aguilera gave a weak wave of his hand, "Please...  I am not a total fool.  No I said nothing and the prince won't do it I suspect unless he feels there is no other choice.  The prince wants to know if Iberia will mediate the dispute?"

Herrera shrugged, "We have had so much luck with such moves in the past.  Recall how the talks between the Netherlands and New Switzerland worked out?"

"I was stationed in the Netherlands before that debacle you know.  I acted as Chargé d'affaires several times...  Amsterdam always was a lovely city I visited it as often as I could. It's our best move it gets us involved and if we can some how manage to avoid the war that's the opening I need.  Even if we fail and Madrid is willing we will be well placed to help Burma attempt to defend themselves."

The Iberian Resident shook his head, "Aguilera I can respect a man that plans for the future but what chance do you think Burma has to hold off the RRC long term?"

Aguilera snorted before he answered, "By themselves?  None what so ever.  At the same time any aid we provide them be all the more valuable." 

Herrera, "And the RRC what do you think they will make of such aid?"

The envoy paused and then counted off with his fingers, "First of all the RRC isn't my problem that's for the minister back in Madrid to worry about. Second we don't have full relations with them anyways.  That tells us what Madrid thinks of the RRC right there.  Third standing up to the RRC and pissing them off just makes us look all the better to the locals."

"Assuming the locals aren't defeated or worse conquered." 

"Assuming they aren't defeated or worse conquered. I have a letter to draft for the Foreign Minister and then to meet with the Prince again."

Several Hours later

"Highness how did your meeting go with the King?" 

"It went well Mr. Aguilera, very well.  I told him of your offer to try to get your government to aid us."  The prince replied.

"It was the least I could do.  Have you learned more about what happened?"  The Iberian diplomat asked.

The prince answered casually. "Oh yes Mr. Aguilera China claims we killed several hundred troops of theirs in the middle of the night." 

"I see.  It's safe to assume that's not the case?"

"You assume correctly Mr. Aguilera.  The area where the attack occurred his difficult to reach to say the least.  That we some how infiltrated the thousands of troops it would have taken to achieve this attack this time of year gives us a great deal of credit I suppose.  Oh its certainly possible to slip groups of fairly large size through the highlands; after all its where the smugglers like to operate from.  But several thousand troops, their weapons and supplies?!? I think not."

The Iberian paused to consider what he had been told, "I see Your Highness, thank you.  But what of the war?  There was an issue of leadership."

"My cousin Shan Min, the Prince of Shan, and I will be holding command."

"Two commanders Highness?  That doesn't sound... efficient."  The Iberian asked carefully.

"No it isn't but it's not as bad as it seams.  My cousin Shan Min will command the northeast near Chinese border near his province of Shan.  While I hold command in the Irawaddy, Rangoon and the rest.  The Irrawaddy Valley is the most likely invasion route.  The Salween Valley in Shan is an unlikely choice.   There has been talk of building a road from Northern Burma to China from time to time off the Irawaddy headwaters but it never goes anywplace because of the massive cost."

To be continued...

See Burma Thread for results of Iberia Attempt to Meditate

Edited to reflect moderator input

miketr

"Minister a representative of the Burmese government would like to speak with you."  A nameless functionary informed Vicente Herrera the Iberian Minister Resident in Burma. 

Herrera already suffering from the wet heat looked even more uncomfortable at the announcement, "He wants to speak to me and not the envoy?"

"That is correct minister, yourself."

Herrera took a deep drink from his glass and waved the servant with the fan away.  The servant went outside and started to pull on a rope outside connected to a fan hanging from the ceiling.  "Send him in at once."

The functionary announcement the Burmese representative, "Minister without portfolio Nyan Win."

Herrera stood up from his chair, "Minister Win what can I do for you today?"

Nyan Win gave a slight nod, "I have come to ask if there is a reply to our request on the thoughts of your government on the RRC demand that we stand down before they do."

Herrera wanting to be seated but could not do so before his guest asked, "Of course Minister why don't you take a seat."  As soon as Win nodded his agreement Herrera's own chair creaked as he sat back down.  "I do not have a reply but I do have some other information.  I can tell you Minister that my government has contacted a number of nations about the plight of Burma.  We believe that Italy and France will be making arrangements to hire the Kondor Legion for the defense of Burma.  Iberia can't take credit for that as it seams that Rome is most annoyed with the Republic of China and sees this as a chance voice their ire in unmistakable terms.  Besides the aid that Iberia will be providing Vienna has an offer for Burma."  Pausing to take a sip from his glass Herrera then continued, "Vienna would like to rest the Auslaender Freiwilliger Legion that was fighting in Calcutta and would request if Burma would be willing to host them?  They could stay with the Iberian troops that will be coming to look after my governments interests.  Also it's strongly suspected that China has chemical weapon and Vienna will be offering 500,000 gas masks to Burma."

The Burmese replied, "I will take this to my government and I can hope for a reply shortly on the other matter Resident?"

Herrera nodded, "Very soon I should think Minister Win."

To Be continued...

Guinness

Minister Win didn't take long to return with the government's response. Herrera's aid shows him in again, and he takes a seat, but declines the offer of a drink.

Wasting no time, he said "Senor Herrera, we very much appreciate both the needs of the Auslaender Freiwilliger Legion, and that Austria is a friend of Iberia's, and therefore a very likely friend of Burma in this time of crisis."

He paused for a moment before continuing.

"However, on consulting the military experts, we wonder if Rangoon isn't already becoming too crowded, with the refugees, the Burmese army, and now Iberian troops and the Kondor legion planning to land their. Instead, might we suggest the Auslaender Freiwilliger Legion move to Sittwe to rest? We believe there will be ample room and resources for their needs there, and frankly, we're hoping they might serve as some deterrent to Bharat trying to take advantage of our situation with agression of their own."

miketr

July 23rd, 1916

By the order of the Governor General in the name of his Most Catholic Majesty Jaime I, Emperor of Iberia, general Mobilization is declared in the territory of the Philippines.

miketr

Palace in Madrid
Meeting of Council of State

July, 1916

Emperor, HIRH Jamie
Prime Minister of Iberia, Don Felipe González y Márquez
Foreign Minister, Diogo Freitas do Amaral
Head of the Army, General de Ejército Julio Macías y Santander
Head of the Navy, Almirante Antonio Bermejo

"I understand that a deal has been worked out Do Amaral?" The Emperor asked. 

"Yes Majesty the Dutch worked out a deal and while it's not perfect its most of what we are looking for."  The foreign minister answered. 

Don Felipe sipped his cup of coffee and then asked, "So are you going to tell us the details?"

The Foreign Minister passed out copies of two texts, "One is for Burma and one is for us.  Now as I said they aren't perfect documents."

Those present looked over the documents for a few minutes with Don Felipe speaking up first of all.  "The Burmese agreed to number nine?  It virtually makes Chinese in Burma have extraterritoriality and that opens the door for China to go back whenever they feel like."

Emperor Jamie tapped the second shorter document, "Also this 'we recognizes sovereignty and all the borders of the Reformist Republic of China.' This is a problem as we didn't do this to start with.  Correct me if I am wrong here but I recall after talks with the Middle Kingdom our official stance was that the RRC was no more than rebellious provinces of the Middle Kingdom."

Do Amaral shrugged, "Burma it appears is willing to accept the clause as part of the price for peace.  As to us and the RRC we are working on the language to be something more along the lines of current borders.  Also I exchanged some messages with my Hapsburg counter part; they don't much care for it either.  I suspect what we do is we and the Hapsburgs send a note to Beijing explaining this is diplomatic necessity and when the day comes for them to reclaim the south we will do nothing to oppose it."

The emperor tapped his fingers, "Don Felipe your thoughts?"

"As Do Amaral noted it's not perfect but its good enough Majesty."  The Prime Minister answered.

Giving a nod of is head and then the Emperor turned towards the two uniformed men, "Almirante and General what say you two?"

"Anything that avoids a five to ten year blood bath half a world away and gets us most of what we want I am favor of Majesty."  The head of the army said flatly.

Almirante Antonio Bermejo was looking at the document still, "I am just a sailor but I can't help think that a few years from now we are going to find ourselves here again.  Also what about that mission the envoy was sent off on?"

The Prime Minister glanced at the Foreign Minister, "As soon as the talks in the East Indies are done he picks up right were he left off.  Also I think we should see about offering some items to Burma.  This should have the effect of sweetening the deal so to speak."  The foreign minister nodded as the prime minister spoke.

Do Amaral "Yes we give them the munitions no matter what for example.  General they aren't of any use to use if I am correct?"

"That's correct Minister Burma like much of the non industrialized world is equipped along French lines so it's all different calibers."

"Very good I thought as much General.  So we just give them the munitions and at the same time we offer to upgrade their army.  We send a training mission with diplomatic credentials so that they side step the treaty restrictions on foreigner military and or have the Burmese go to the Philippines." The Foreign Minister said.

The Emperor nodded his head, "Very well I would like to see a draft of the note for the Middle Kingdom and move quickly on the follow on talks with Burma.  Almirante and General inform our forces to fire only in defense I don't want an incident but till the deal is signed we don't drop our defences either."

miketr

QuoteSome time after the treaty is concluded...

"Your Highness, Minister I am pleased that we are meeting under better circumstances.  I understand an agreement has been worked out with the Republican Chinese."  Mr. Aguilera asked despite already knowing the answer, after all one had to follow the forms.

Minister Win replied with, "That is correct Excellency we have an agreement in place as I believe does your own government."

The ambassador as the permanent representative of Iberia replied, "That is my understanding Minister we are awaiting for your own agreement to be finalized before moving forward with our own."  Herrera then took a long drink from his glass.

Prince Ka Naung then said, "My cousin has told me that he is most grateful for the friendship and help shown by Iberia and its allies to Burma in its time of need."

The two Iberian diplomats gave a slight nod in acknowledgement before Mr. Aguilera replied, "We will certainly pass the kings thanks along to Madrid and Emperor Jaime."

The Prince then went on with, "Also I have talked to my cousin about your governments commercial interests in Burma Mr. Aguilera.  So the idea of allowing investment in our Oil resources is workable.  The recent crises has shown that Burma needs friends and an investment agreement could help bind such a friendship."

Aguilera smiled, "That is very true Highness and there is the possibility of other areas of cooperation between our two nations."

Minister Win and the Prince said nothing and waited.  After a moment Mr. Aguilera asked, "I would like someone to join us, Capitán de Navío Leopoldo of HIIMAS Apra he could explain a great deal of what I am talking about."

"Of course Mr. Aguilera."

The Iberian naval officer came in and was seated.  The prince then asked, "So Captain Mr. Aguilera says you have some information on how Burma and Iberia could cooperate in other that commercial ways; please explain."

"Highness...  I have spent some time in the Indian ocean of late as you well know and because of the crises I had been studying Burma's ports.  In particular Akyab on the Arakan coast caught my eye..."

QuoteThe prince nodded, "Yes it's also known as Sittwe and it's a naval base for our navy."

The Iberian officer nodded, "Yes Highness the port is small and its facilities are to be honest minimal but it does have a number of advantages.  First is location it's right on the Bay of Bengal unlike Rangoon which is inland and off the Andaman Sea so it has better access.  This makes it better placed to project power into the Bay of Bengal. The down side is the area is underdeveloped and isolated from the rest of the country with only primitive roads and river traffic as means of connection."

Minister Win folded his hands, "Everything you say is true Captain and I take it that Sittwe is to be this other area of cooperation between Burma and Iberia?"

Aguilera smiled and nodded, "That's correct Minister.  It would be prohibitively expensive for your nation to take advantage of the location but Iberia has greater resources."

Win leaned back into his chair, "True Mr. Aguilera and I take it that Iberia would like to take advantage of this location for itself.  Which presents some problems Mr. Aguilera."

The Iberian diplomat replied with, "The new peace treaty."

Win nodded as he said, "The new peace treaty."

Herrera fanned himself with several papers and interjected, "If I may.  There are two possible solutions to the problem here.  One Iberia would limit itself to just port calls with the understanding in time of war Iberia would continue to have access despite Burma's own stance."

Win glanced slightly at the Prince who gave a fractional nod and then the minister answered, "That would be workable I believe but you had another idea?"

Herrera put down his collection of papers, "Yes Minister Iberia leases the port and area.  Then it becomes Iberian territory and outside the terms of treaty.  The treaty has placed no limits on what your nation can do with its own territory Minister."

The Prince leaned forward, "That maybe true Mr. Herrera but the leasing of bits of ones territory is a fairly major step.  The rewards would have to be commensurate to such a step; like perhaps dealing with the ports isolation from the rest of the country."

Aguilera again nodded and then asked, "What exactly do you have in mind your Highness?"

The prince pointed at a map of Burma that was already laid out on the table.  "As you can see here our main railroad runs north from Rangoon to Mandalay at the Irrawaddy.  There is another line out of Rangoon that runs North West to Prome but it's much shorter than other railway.  Neither is near Sittwe and that's what Burma would really need to make use of Sittwe as anything other than a regional port it needs to be connected to the North South Railroad."

The Iberian Naval Officer Capitán de Navío Leopoldo suggested, "You are looking for additional supply points up north if you have future problems with the RRC I am guessing. So you really want it to connect here."  The captain pointed at the center of the map, Mandalay.

The Prince nodded, "That is correct Captain."

Aguilera paused as he thought over the way the talks had gone, "So you believe you could convince the King to lease the port if we upgrade the port itself and build a railway to connect it to the main line at Mandalay; using this spur line at Myingyan perhaps."

The prince said, "Nothing is sure till I talk to my cousin but your nation has been most helpful to the kingdom and we clearly need friends."

The Iberian envoy while making some notes said, "I will contact my government to ask for instructions about the railroad and for them to approve the language of the oil investment."

The prince stood up and then everyone in the room did, "And I will discuses the agreements with my cousin, Good day gentlemen."

"Good day Your Highness, Minister..."

Korpen

Quote from: miketr on June 15, 2009, 01:02:57 PM
Herrera put down his collection of papers, "Yes Minister Iberia leases the port and area.  Then it becomes Iberian territory and outside the terms of treaty.  The treaty has placed no limits on what your nation can do with its own territory Minister."
That is not 100% certain, as the treaty pledges the RRC to guarantee to border and sovereignty of Burma. It could be argued that the clause in question applies not only if Burma is invaded, but also if it willingly gives away land.
Card-carrying member of the Battlecruiser Fan Club.

miketr

Iberia's view point is that the RRC has accepted that Burma is sovereign.  If Iberia attacked Burma that would be one thing as article 2 would produce a Casus Belli / Casus foederis.  Leasing ones territory except under duress is something else all together.  If you take the logic all the way then Burma couldn't accept new diplomatic posts are legations are foreign territory, the Burmese government couldn't sell state assets even to nationals because that would be a reduction of "territory".  I any event Logi / RRC are free to take whatever view they want.   

Logi

In my PoV, this is traitorous action. I'm not sure if I could use the treaty to argue, but I would definitely not be happy about this.

I'm going to argue the same as Korpen.