Ottoman Empire test run

Started by Alikchi, March 08, 2007, 08:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alikchi

I'd like to keep things as close to how they were as possible, with maybe a few changes in government. (I might change the Sultan, or modify the history.. who knows.)

I can't do much with history at the moment until the New Zion issues are resolved, because that's a bit of a central issue. If the Indian Ocean->Black Sea route is still open, I'll have to explain how the Ottomans even exist, actually. Plus, the Middle East will be a huge convoluted island with ridiculously difficult to defend coastline.. just a giant can of worms.

Regardless, the Ottomans will remain a constitutional monarchy (leaning towards the monarchy part). They will have a large, well-trained army with extensive fortifications throughout the empire, particularly on the Habsburg border. The navy will be medium-sized, with an emphasis placed on torpedo boats, monitors and mine warfare.

Alikchi

Ok, New Zion is gone, although I'm still not sure if the Caspian Strait (as Borys called it) will still exist.

I've been doing some research and the Sultan may be more powerful than I had previously thought. The Navy, in fact, might be smaller than before...

Borys

Ahoj!
The existance of the Black Sea Caspian Link - the Caspian Passage, Scythian Narows, Sarmathian Cut, Kimmerian Gash, Jazon's Groove, etc. does not change much for you. It would be the Caspian to Persian Gulf connection that woud give you a thrill :)

Oh, are you putting in even more steel into the Mustafa Line than before? At the Navy's expense?
Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Alikchi

Quote from: Borys on March 10, 2007, 04:56:05 PM
Ahoj!
The existance of the Black Sea Caspian Link - the Caspian Passage, Scythian Narows, Sarmathian Cut, Kimmerian Gash, Jazon's Groove, etc. does not change much for you. It would be the Caspian to Persian Gulf connection that woud give you a thrill :)

Oh, are you putting in even more steel into the Mustafa Line than before? At the Navy's expense?
Borys

Yes, sorry - I was thinking of the Caspian-Persian Gulf connection :)

I think I will. After a quick rethink, there's not much point in having 2 or 4 modern BBs - that's nothing I can win a fleet engagement against, say, Russia or Austria with. I might drop my battlewagon plans and invest in 26 knot ACs and BCs instead.

Ithekro

So did we want to eliminate the Black Sea - Caspian Sea Group, or keep it for flavor later?

Borys

Ahoj!
As the Caspian-Persian Gulf connection is no longer, I'd say that Conan's Gash is unnecessary from a gaming viepoint.

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

swamphen

I'd say keep it, though I'm not bothered to be out-voted.

Close up the Rift Valley, though, and there will be...problems.

*ommminous hummmmm*

P3D

Yes, we don't really need rift valley.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

Desertfox

Swapmy I agree with you, so thats two votes...
"We don't run from the end of the world. We CHARGE!" Schlock

http://www.schlockmercenary.com/d/20090102.html

Ithekro

I'd prefer we leave the rift open just to give us more option in Africa, which generally gets forgotten about in most sims.

maddox

I'd perfer a smaller channel leading to the "Rift Sea"

I want the revenue there  ...

Ithekro

Maybe the "channel" is too shallow for most ships (7-10 feet then bedrock), so the French have ways of making a profit from a dredged channel, piloted path, or even a man made canal that is somehow made in the channel...or in the actual place of the Suez Canal.

Ithekro

I'm going to need feedback on these Ottoman colonies in Africa and Australia.  (moderator requested items).

Also the proposed expanding of African New Zion into Egypt and/or the Italian colony to its north.

Alikchi

Quote from: Ithekro on March 13, 2007, 07:59:36 PM
I'm going to need feedback on these Ottoman colonies in Africa and Australia.  (moderator requested items).

Also the proposed expanding of African New Zion into Egypt and/or the Italian colony to its north.

Posted respones to the Ottoman colonies - I would prefer not to take the African bit, but I will if I have to. The Australian colony is kind of a crazy idea - I don't want it, if I get it I won't defend it.

No problem with expanding New Zion, but it'd make more sense if you expanded northwards into Egypt rather than into the Italian chunk.