Main Menu

Paris Temps

Started by maddox, March 21, 2007, 11:10:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maddox

With a L/B ratio of 6,10/1 she falls perfectly in the normal parameters of ships. Especialy French ships, known for the wide beam/slender lines.
The Marseilles type 5 drydock is the place she will be build, the only place on earth capable to do so.
One of the reasons Glorious France can contemplate building Normandie. Montmedy is almost ready to be floated out.

On the other hand, a new design was made.  Using the capacity of the drydock to the fullest, resulting in a narrower beam.
More freeboard and a tad more payload.

QuoteNormandie, French Glorious Liner laid down 1919 (Engine 1916)

Displacement:
   60.001 t light; 61.530 t standard; 74.855 t normal; 85.515 t full load

Dimensions: Length overall / water x beam x draught
   1.046,68 ft / 1.033,47 ft x 147,64 ft x 32,81 ft (normal load)
   319,03 m / 315,00 m x 45,00 m  x 10,00 m

- Double hull:
      1,50" / 38 mm   537,40 ft / 163,80 m   29,52 ft / 9,00 m

Machinery:
   Oil fired boilers, steam turbines,
   Direct drive, 4 shafts, 134.958 shp / 100.679 Kw = 27,00 kts
   Range 10.000nm at 22,00 kts
   Bunker at max displacement = 23.985 tons

Complement:
   2.262 - 2.941

Cost:
   £6,197 million / $24,786 million

Distribution of weights at normal displacement:
   Armament:
   Armour: 909 tons, 1,2%
      - Belts: 0 tons, 0,0%
      - Torpedo bulkhead: 880 tons, 1,2%
      - Armament: 28 tons, 0,0%
      - Armour Deck: 0 tons, 0,0%
      - Conning Tower: 0 tons, 0,0%
   Machinery: 5.028 tons, 6,7%
   Hull, fittings & equipment: 24.021 tons, 32,1%
   Fuel, ammunition & stores: 14.854 tons, 19,8%
   Miscellaneous weights: 30.000 tons, 40,1%

Overall survivability and seakeeping ability:
   Survivability (Non-critical penetrating hits needed to sink ship):
     151.614 lbs / 68.771 Kg = 1.810,9 x 5,5 " / 140 mm shells or 22,0 torpedoes
   Stability (Unstable if below 1.00): 1,23
   Metacentric height 13,2 ft / 4,0 m
   Roll period: 17,1 seconds
   Steadiness   - As gun platform (Average = 50 %): 72 %
         - Recoil effect (Restricted arc if above 1.00): 0,01
   Seaboat quality  (Average = 1.00): 1,94

Hull form characteristics:
   Hull has a flush deck
   Block coefficient: 0,523
   Length to Beam Ratio: 7,00 : 1
   'Natural speed' for length: 32,15 kts
   Power going to wave formation at top speed: 38 %
   Trim (Max stability = 0, Max steadiness = 100): 37
   Bow angle (Positive = bow angles forward): 11,00 degrees
   Stern overhang: 4,92 ft / 1,50 m
   Freeboard (% = measuring location as a percentage of overall length):
      - Stem:      42,65 ft / 13,00 m
      - Forecastle (24%):   36,09 ft / 11,00 m
      - Mid (50%):      36,09 ft / 11,00 m
      - Quarterdeck (24%):   36,09 ft / 11,00 m
      - Stern:      36,09 ft / 11,00 m
      - Average freeboard:   36,72 ft / 11,19 m

Ship space, strength and comments:
   Space   - Hull below water (magazines/engines, low = better): 77,1%
      - Above water (accommodation/working, high = better): 315,7%
   Waterplane Area: 103.869 Square feet or 9.650 Square metres
   Displacement factor (Displacement / loading): 181%
   Structure weight / hull surface area: 170 lbs/sq ft or 828 Kg/sq metre
   Hull strength (Relative):
      - Cross-sectional: 0,98
      - Longitudinal: 1,23
      - Overall: 1,00
   Hull space for machinery, storage, compartmentation is excellent
   Room for accommodation and workspaces is excellent
   Ship has slow, easy roll, a good, steady gun platform
   Excellent seaboat, comfortable, can fire her guns in the heaviest weather

30.000 ton misc weight
10 000 ton, 500 first class passengers
18 000 ton, 6000 steerage travelers or 3000 second class passengers (depending on profitability)

1000 ton extra lifeboat + loading/unloading facilities
500 ton extra damage control facilities (Le Magnificent has show to be a fine torpedo catcher, even in her role as passenger vessel)
250 ton acclimatisation plant
100 ton communication facilities. Passengers are demanding more and better communications with everybody at the same time, so 3 long range marconies are fitted.
100 tons  ERADe and ESMAe stations.
50 tons for thin granite plated walls in the large winecellar

maddox

Early June, the news that NS warships are setting up shop at Masirah is creating shockwaves trough French parliament.  Lots of inqueries are made. For the time being, only Minister Capet has send in the result of talks with the Romanian Head of State, Empress Flowranis.

Quote"Dear Premier Galpoux,

On behalf of Glorious France I asked Empress Flowranis what is happening at Masirah.

Her majesties reply was satisfactionary. The arrangements made are of such magnitude that King Carol couldn't refuse the New Swiss offer.
Empress Flowranis regrets the current situation, and promised to explore diplomatic means concerning the potential concerning Masirah. .  

As servant of Glorious France
Minister Capet."

maddox

Later June.

Paris, parliament.    Next to unanimous the French Parliament accepted Premier Galpoux's declaration of Defence.  North Africa/Suez, Ceylon/Djibouti will be under economic martial law. This to avoid a repeat of the Kolkatan affair in Africa. Fleet units and troops will be activated an provided to do their duty to Glorious France.
Le Magnificent is called to her new role of dedicated troop transport and will be returning to Brest at all haste.

Paris, Hotel Napoleon,

A large press conference followed by an equaly big feast reveals the plans and the signing of Contracts to build Normandie, the biggest floating, moving object ever deviced by man.
The size of the model is astounishing, at 1/30th scale she's still big enough to be called a yacht.
The Builder, the excentric Dutch modeler and inventor M vd G has declared the intention to redo the model to this purpose.

maddox

June 30

Industrialist Gaetan LeBlanc is having a dinner with Premier Galpoux, not a surprise with  1920 as an election year.

Monsieur LeBlanc, my compliments to your cook and your sommelier. The dinner was exquisite.

I'll convey your pleasure premier. Can I suggest that we retire in the smoking room, I have aquired some Cuban sigars that beg for consumation.

Please lead the way.

Seated in stuffed, very comfortable leather chairs, enjoying a thick sigar, the first minutes are filled with pleasantries. But then the subject turns to the changing political climate.

Premier, as you already know, the great industrialists of France do support your government, the last 4 years, even with the Kolkattan issue, were very profitable for us. And Glorious France is benefitting too , our armies are among the best trained and equipped in the world, our navy is modernising at a racing pace, and our airships are the best, periode. Even our heavier than air craft are comming from "bought" to self designed and build. But, we're running out of steam. We can't expand our industries a lot in France, space and trained people willing to work are getting scarce and expensive.

Dear LeBlanc, don't worry, I learned from the Kolkattan Issue, and with my government, we're working on a real solution on that matter. And running out of space. France is limited, hemmed in between other, very industrialized countries. But our colonies, and I would point out the recent modernisation of the Polynesian economy, and the expansion of Suez as well the Egypt connection are prime examples.

I agree Premier, but that brings me to the question. The government ordered 10 of the largest Francis turbines the world has ever seen. My foundry is currently making the molds to cast those giant pieces. But I can't see were we can use those.

Smiling, Premier Galpoux answers.

"What is the biggest river we know and is less than 5000 km from here?"

Euh, the Nile?

Exactly. The gorges of the Blue Nile are the ideal place according to a team of prospectors.

Oh, Premier, that explains the naval movements we have heard about....

maddox

June 3, Port of Marseilles. 

6 Mushrooms are taking in supplies, the paravanes and other stores needed as minesweeper prominently displayed. The Mushroom command ship Trieste is one of these 6.

Peniches gathering in droves, are lifted in huge slings with the mightiest cranes of Glorious France and loaded on large merchants.

maddox

July fifth,

Paris, the bar of Hotel Napoleon.

Bonjour Monsieur Grange.

Ah captain Guynemer, I'm glad you accepted my invitation.
Euhm, my commander told me not to ignore your request monsieur, and that brings me to the strange question. Why would a clerk of the Foreign Affairs ministry want to meet me in this rather expensive setting.

beaming a big smile
Because I'm a kind of aviator entousiast, and my nice Marthe, she absolutely adores aviators. She told me about you, and your time in Escadron Garibaldi.

How does your nice know about that?

Because late Lt commander Bacarra told her. Let us say, Marthe has some deeper insights on the situation
You mean, your nice is Marthe Richard? Wow, you have quite a nice.

I know, you could say I'm also her mentor. But the thing I want to talk about is your nemesis, Fonck
Rene? My nemesis?  Nah, he's a cold rash,arrogant, technocratic pain in the posteriour, but nemesis, no.

You know he's currently on leave, and he's working as test pilot for the Dutch aircraft manufactorer Fokker.

No, I didn't. I thought he was at Gravelines, or maybe in Italia, training with the Italians. I didn't see him in Marseille. On the other hand, he wasn't in Kolkatta either.  Still, his flying prowess is impressive, and he has almost as much time in the air as I.

That answers that part. But my concern is the opportunity of , let us call it :"less than patriotic possibilities". Is it possible that Fonck would sell out on Glorious France?

Monsieur Grange, Rene, as I, just love to fly, and being a test pilot for a famous aircraft builder is a great compliment. If that aircraft builder is Bavarian or not, the compliment stays. But selling out France, no. I don't think Rene would do that, but neither will he tell secrets of his employer, unless keeping those secrets would hurt France .  Excuse me,

Garçon (French for waiter).
Please , can I have a "Soixante Quinze".  And for you monsieur Grange?

No capitain Guynemer, it's my invitation, I pay the bill. But I would like the same as you.
I thank you for you insight on Fonck. But what do you think of the Dune 11? Marthe is nagging me to death to have a ride in that huge plane

I can imagine, after all, she has her pilot licence, and that should tell you enough about her enthousiasm.

maddox

Paris, Chez Loulou,

Monsieur Grange, there is a problem.

Oui ma chéri?

I got an offer to work in another place, a recent opened club, called Yab-Yum. The wages and bonuses promised are strangely low. As if the keeper doesn't have any idea what a high end working girl can earn in a good place. But as far as I heared, he's just starting business, and it could be that his liquid funds are low. Still, strange.

You're right my love, I should check it out. I don't mind concurrences, and I admire successful entrepreneurs. But as you say, strange things are not what we like. We should visit that place and talk to the people there. Where is it?

Boulevar Garibaldi, monsieur Grange.

Boulevar Garibaldi. A freshly painted ,but not so fresh looking store/apartment building announces"Yab Yum,  gentlemens' club", with a small brass placard, "members only".

Monsieur Grange and mademoiselle Giselle enter the building and the poorly lighted establishment doesn't impress them much. Chez Loulou , equally dark, looks a lot better. Just by the difference in quality of furniture, smells and way of lighting. Not to mention the movements of the waitresses. Not the fluid graceful handling of the girls at Chez Loulou, something that is a mayor criteria to be accepted in that establishment..
The membership is rapidly handled by an indifferent clerk like person, speaking heavily accented French. A cheap card (pricetag of 5 loaves of bread)proclaims madame Giselle and Monsieur Range as members.

Monsieur Grange, I recognise that waitress. She's Damiene, and 2 weeks ago, she was doing the streets, like a service for a meal and what amounts a glass of cheap cognac in money. Most of the time she doesn't mind about the meals. I'm surprised she walks straight.

Hm, it seems this establishment caters to the less well off gentlemen. Who proposed you to work for him?

I don't know for sure Monsieur Grange, but if I'm not mistaken, Monsieur Massingale  just entered trough the side door. Tucking up his pants. I guess one of his girls got a test.
(and yes, a tad later, a less than young lady in rather revealing clothing also enters trough that side door)

You say Massingale? peering trough the gloom , and recognition is made.
Giselle. I thank you for this discovery.  I dare to say, you'll be working here soon enough. Of course, I'll collect the money from here. Whatever I tell monsieur Massingale , do not gasp or in any means indicate the amount he's talking about is an insult.

Monsieur Grange calls in one of the waitresses, and after ordering a bottle of champagne and 4 glasses, gives her a namecard, a big tip and the order to give the card to Monsieur Massingale .

A few minutes later,   Massingale introduces himself as manager of the fine establishment.

Bongour Monsieur Range. What can I do for you and your most beautiful companion?

Ah Monsieur  Massingale, in effect it's the wish of Giselle to join your fine gentlemen's club as an employee, but as her manager I'm rather reluctant to lose her services. And curiosity of course. I like to know what's going on in our little community of entrepreneurs and artists.

You're a connoisseur then?

Lets call me a facilitator. A guy who makes contacts between men and woman a lot smoother and with less long term obligations. Just like you are starting up. You offered Giselle a job in this fine establishment?

Yes, I did, I met the young lady at Chez Loulou,and was utterly impressed by her professionalism.

Thank you for the compliment, I try to attract the best ladies in the branche. And I'm succeeding.
So, if she wishes to work here. I'll still be her manager, and will pay her wages. But what is the stake here?

An absurdly low amount is talked about, but with big promises and bonuses. Monsieur Grange takes it and riles up enthusiasm as if the amount is like a princely ransom.

Later in the talks, that get more and more friendly, under the influence of more and more bottles of champagne, payed by Monsieur Grange.

Don't I know you?

Of course monsieur Massingale , or should I call you ambassador Rudolf Massingale?
We hadden het plezier elkaar te passeren 2 weken geleden nabij de ambassade. Ik woon namelijk 2 straten verder op een appartementje.Maar laat het ons geheimpje blijven. De gierigheid van uw overheid is alom berucht.

The offices of NvR, 
A meeting between the French ambassador and the Dutch Minister President, concerning some dry matter of taxes and customs directives.
As usual, if it comes to trade, agreements are found and compromises made.

And it ends up in talking about business. What reminds the ambassador to remark about the lack of Indonesian ladies in the new Cabaret at Boulevar Garibaldi.
NvR is a tad miffed about the blatant remark concerning something the straight-laced protestants of North Netherlands nor the prudish Catholics of the Southern part would accept in a formal setting. With the decadent French, it's almost expected.
Still, the remark about Indonesian beauties means there is a Dutch angle. And that turns out that the person renting the building is no less than the Dutch Ambassador in Paris. And that he's seen in the building, during opening time, so he must know what's going on.
The French ambassador remarks that it shows great adaptability for Monsieur Massingale, but that Monsieur Massingale lacks some experience, nor does he seem to hire the best assistants to help him in such a cultural endeavor.

maddox

Paris Temps

WAR,

The complete New Swiss navy entered the Djibouti Defence zone, as indicated during previous negotiations. A flottilla of 2 Demarce IV light cruisers, 2 Demarce III light cruisers and 2 Tigre B destroyers met the NS fleet to learn why the NS ships are there. It was soon clear that the New Swiss wanted revenge for their exile more than 100 years ago. No replies to any means of communications were noted. Unless a huge wave of torpedo's could be seen as communication. The valiant sacrifice of the 2 Demarce IV and Tigre B's  made sure the 2 Demarce III cruisers could evade this devastating Torpedo wave, and in the ensuing exchange of fire the 2 French ships were sourly pressed, until a DKB flottila could come to aid the 2 besieged vessels. Thanks to the chivalrous Deutsche Kaiserreigh Brandenburg sailors, the nefarious New Swiss were driven off. But not at the end of their criminal deeds. After the hidious ambush on the French ships, the NS fleet did attack an Italian task force. This resulted in a melee that made the NS ships seek shelter at the NZ port of Eliat.

Premier Galpoux asked parliament to extend the mobilisation from Ceylon and North Africa to France, Kolkatta and Quebec.

maddox

Messages to the French military.
These are the clear  wireless and easely intercepted wired messages.
Unfortunatly, France is aware of the vurnability of the wireless transmissions, and parts will be done by aircraft and airship courriers.
Civil governments aknowledge wartime support status. (new HY report will be made and posted asap)

Due the changed equation in The Rift and the defence of Ceylon and Djibouti the following orders stand.
Army wartime status for Djibouti, Ceylon, North, Central and West Africa.
Partial activation of Metropolitan France ( Sedan Fortress corps and 5 5/3 infantry corps)
Navy, full wartime status.

Airforce, full wartime status.
Naval
Brest.
Halifax
Marseilles
New Rhun
According the send lists, the following ships join Djibouti Fleet at the soonest.

Start expanding Tricomalee, start army and and airbase.  Get translators that are fluent in Germanic languages, preference Dutch and the Deutsche Dialects.

Marine Corp to "Converge West Platform" , release army Tiamat capacity for training purposes.

French Polinesia. "Operation Open Sesame, release naval forces, Governer has full approval."

L'arme de L'air.
Send the 30 reserve Twin engine heavies (Italian Caproni GF4/1 multi purpose aircraft) to Alexandia.

All spare Coastal defense blimps to be crated and send to designated Rift lokations.

Order the full capacity on Fighter aircraft, get licences if needed and start large scale production of Dune D11 long range defensive aircraft.

Start Ceylon Coastal Blimp recon hangars.

Army.
Relinquish 2 Infantry Corp Djibouti, "Converge West Platform"
Activate 1 Fortress Corp for Djibouti.
Join Marine Corp for Tiamat Release, "Converge West Platform"

P3D

At this point the Zionists should just declare war on Gran Colombia and Egypt, and offer no resistance whatsoever to their land troops.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

TexanCowboy

Meh...this is actually getting to the point where it's like Iraq in the 2003 campaign.

The Rock Doctor

Quote from: P3D on July 01, 2010, 12:18:40 PM
At this point the Zionists should just declare war on Gran Colombia and Egypt, and offer no resistance whatsoever to their land troops.

Sure, why not?  Could always use some more turf in Africa.

*Readies a platoon for the big Op*

TexanCowboy

No, no, no! Romania will always win!  ;D

*presses Romania Wins button*

ciders

Romania have not enough funds for the travel. ;D

The only difference, between the balls of July 14th and the French Revolution, it is the size of firecrackers and the direction towards which we launch them.

Christophe Barbier, French journalist

Guinness

It is unfortunate that NZ threw it's lot in with the Neo Swiss, and everyone hates the Swiss.