The Name

Started by 1Big Rich, March 18, 2007, 04:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1Big Rich

Just a suggestion, but I think you should really consider changing the name of the Sim.  It's already caused some confusion over on the Warsihp Projects Forums when Borys posted looking for recruits and salaam86 replied that the 'other' Navalism was recruiting as well.   I've already had to post a clarification in that thread.  Even something as simple as calling it "Navalism.org" in type or "Navalism-dot-org" in conversation would help distinguish it from the previous attempts.

Regards all,

Big Rich
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for." -- Grace Murray Hopper

Ithekro

So we are the Organization now?  That sounds interesting, if ominous.

Borys

NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

P3D

I'd suggest Navalism: The World of Old until we have a better one
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

maddox

1 Big Rich,

This forum is Navalism. The original board was Navalism.
And if it wasn't needed to avoid losing navalism like it existed.
As you see for yourself, the "old" forum isn't the old anymore.

Van Owen did talk to me about the changes, and I wasn't opposed. But other factors did come into play.

1Big Rich

Maddox and P3D, et al,

I don't think it has anything to do with what this place is, I think it's more of how it is referred to. 

As I said, I think the more you distinguish yourselves, the easier it will be to bring new players to the site.  Guilherme Loureiro is a veteran contributor to the Warship Projects Forums.  His posts indicate he is not lacking intelligence.  Yet on reading the competing posts he immediately asked:

QuoteIs Navalism changing sites, or is www.navalism.org just for Navalism 3.0?

If one potential player is already unsure of what's going on, that doesn't bode well for the future.  I don't care if either site uses the Projects Boards to share designs, gather feedback or share designs.  I'd rather not have to post in those threads as I did today to clarify what's going on.  As I said, something as simiple as referring to this place as 'navalism.org' or 'nav-org' as Borys suggested would help set the two sites apart. 

I'm just offering some feedback and opinion here for something I've already seen one day into a recruiting announcement.  But you folks do as you please...

Regards,

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for." -- Grace Murray Hopper

maddox

I myself value your input, 1 Big Rich.
And you're right, we need to get a difference.

maddox

My posting on the Warships projects forum.

QuoteAs the old moderator in the ORIGINAL navalism http://z4.invisionfree.com/Navalism/index.php?act=idxboard I think I have the needed explanations.

What happened is that several- about all the players- disagreed with 1 of my decisions.

Unfortunatly, the original administrator, Van Owen, got the blame of that.
I regret this fact.
But to save the N-verse and the game idea the sessesing players got together and asked me to help with the change over phase. I did so, and that was the birth of www.navalism.org

The end result is simple.

http://z4.invisionfree.com/Navalism/index.php?act=idx is the original site what has gotten a complete overhaul. With roleplay and statemenship as main concerns.

www.navalism.org keeps most to the of the "old "rules , but is changing those a bit to get a more "realistic" feel, to all the things concerned.

But both sites use the same basic idea. Springsharp II to simulate ships, and the reasons to build and use them.