Rules updates

Started by P3D, March 15, 2007, 03:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borys

I added a line to the Research rules. It is not a change, but serves on a plate what is already in the rules.

REMEMBER - TECHNOLOGY BECOMES AVAILABLE IN THE FIRST HALF YEAR AFTER SUCCESS IN RESEARCH (OR COMPLEING DIGESTION)
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

Borys

21st January 2008
Added
Motorisation
Light Armour
Heavy Armour

technologies, no change to existing techs.
Borys
Bambi must DIE!

Borys

Added:

Money and BP can be carried over from one HY to another, but not from year to year.

To the economy rules. These rules were "somewhere out there", so I put them in the logical place.
Borys
Bambi must DIE!

The Rock Doctor

Rule Changes for 1/1912:

These are limited, and not profound. 

1.  Ship construction costs are, indeed, as previously discussed:

Light displacement / 1000 = $ cost.

For submarines, the cost is then multiplied by two.  For ships built to torpedo-boat rules, the cost is multiplied by 1.25.

Rules for building to civilian standards remains unchanged.

2.  Fire Control Weight

We are revising slightly to tie weight to ship type, rather than ship displacement.

-Ships built to BB/AC rules require 250 t for FC.
-Ships built to DD/TB rules require 25 t for FC.
-Everything else equipped with FC, including protected cruisers, requires 100 t.

If a ship is laid down before 1912 and is in conflict with the above, we will grandfather it; if you have already posted a 1912 design which is in conflict, we will have to ask you to revise the design.

FC weight will continue to be part of a ship's miscellaneous weight until you achieve the second level of Fire Control tech (1912) and, in the case of existing ships, then refit those ships.  We will amend the tech tree shortly to clarify this.

3.  Naval Infrastructure Building Rates.

Increased from $5 per half-year to $6, for the simple reason that it now means $1 per month. 

Possible Future Changes

The Mods are discussing options for reducing unnecessary complexity, but are not ready to implement anything at this time.  Contact us with ideas if you wish.

The Rock Doctor

I've added the armored train, light armor, and heavy armor units in tabular form to the "Army Units" thread.  This info will be deleted from the "Land and Air Technology" thread.

The Rock Doctor

Motorization also moved.

Note that 1900 Motorization offers no tangible benefits beyond experimentation and as the basis for future research.  You can't purchase 1900 motorization for your units.  If you already have - feel free to refund yourself in the next half-year.

The Rock Doctor

Three Updates/Notices:

1.  I have amended two starting dates for Aircraft techs.  The 1915 tech is deferred to 1917; 1920 is pushed back to 1921.  It is my view that the previous starting dates allowed for aircraft development that was far more rapid than sim events could possibly justify. 

I apologize if this mucks up any 1915 sim reports in the offing, but I couldn't well tinker with the 1913 tech at this point, and the 1920 tech was too far away to make a dent in the problem.

2.  The 25,000 / 5,000-strong small units will be allowed.  If you don't like them, don't use them.  If you do like them, use them sparingly, because if the mods can't keep track of your order of battle, we will become agitated.

3.  The Mods will not be enforcing any rules restricting IC : Population ratios in "colonies".  We see some merit in the argument that increasing economic power can lead to increasing nationalism and calls for self-governance - but not enough to create rules about it. 

The Rock Doctor

I have consolidated the Naval Gun Research Rules, and appended them to the basic Research post.  I do not believe any rule changes have been made, only clarified.  I have also edited the gun table so that the maximum bore diameter and gun tech years are a little more straight-forward.

The mods will discuss the issue of researching really old tech, and will add something to the rules if appropriate.

I'm going to start working on a clean-up of the fortification rules next.

Guinness

Updates for 1/1918 include:

Extend Naval Techs

DDs: 1924-2,500 destroyers, quintuple tubes

Subs: New sub table which extends to 1940

Torpedoes: add 1928(double-time) Reliable Oxygen Torpedoes (aka Long Lance Torpedoes)

Gun Techs: Haven't actually updated these, but I'm copying the table into the Naval Tech tree to eliminate some confusion.

Extend Non-Naval Techs

Infantry: Extend Infantry Tech to 1935

Aircraft: Extend Aircraft Tech to 1937

Anti-Aircraft Artillery: New AA tech tree
If a nation has already invested in AA tech, accomplishments on the old tree map to the new as such:
1900 -> 1903
1908 -> 1910
1914 -> 1918

New Rocketry Tech

Update to Research Rules:
"Obsolete techs", which are defined by techs that do not require double time to research for which the first research date is now 15 years are now considered to be generally well understood globally and can be digested by any nation as though that tech had been acquired from another nation, provided that the nation has all the precursor techs, of course.

Ship Construction Rules
More than one ship may now be built in a drydock at the same time subject to a number of constraints, provided that dry dock has been given the extra equipment necessary to make that possible via a one-time surcharge. Note that this capability is only possible in drydocks, not slipways or floating drydocks. All ships built together in the same dock must be launched at the same time. Drydocks that have been upgraded to allow multiple coincident ship construction are designated with a '+', ie Type 2+ Drydock.

Fortifications and Coast Defense
Updated fortification and coast defense cost tables. The former system for estimating costs for coast defense batteries is retired.

Armored Unit Costs
Update cost tables for both light and heavy armored units.

Guinness

Changes for 1/1920:

Summary of Changes:

1. Submarine rules clarified so that it is clearly understood that a submarine of the 1920 tech level or newer may carry any mix of mines and torpedoes at a 1-2 ratio. So a sub might for instance carry a total of 20 torpedoes and no mines, or a total of 40 mines and no torpedoes, or a total of 10 torpedoes and 20 mines, etc.

2. Put the 1920 Light Cruiser tech back, and clarified: 1920 Light Cruisers allow for no gun caliber or mounting limitations.

2. Current regime of buying individual aircraft and building aircraft tech specific bases is supplanted with a new system whereby aircraft are purchased in units similar to army units, and airfields/airbases persist similar to naval infrastructure. Full text of that is below.

3. Attempted to clarify ship architectures in the ship design guidelines