Messages from Leo-rcc

Started by Leo, February 27, 2007, 03:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithekro

I was meaning a total number of messages that can be kept at one time.  I have 87 now and was wondering if I needed to worry about deleting any soon.

P3D

Right now I think it is unlimited.
The first purpose of a warship is to remain afloat. Anon.
Below 40 degrees, there is no law. Below 50 degrees, there is no God. sailor's maxim on weather in the Southern seas

leo-rcc

Some of you may have experienced that the website was down for a while. This was due to a computer problem with the provider. Our apologies for any inconvenience.
Best regards,

Leo.

Borys

Ahoj!
I have 346 messages - I was curious of the limit :)

Borys
NEDS - Not Enough Deck Space for all those guns and torpedos;
Bambi must DIE!

leo-rcc

There isnt one. There is however a limit set on the amount of users you can send a pm to in one message, and how many pm's you may post in an hour. This is to prevent abuse.

Best regards,

Leo.

leo-rcc

There has been an upgrade to the forum, it is now on version 1.1.4. This upgrade was needed for security reasons. As far as I can tell nothing is missing and all went well, but it might be prudent to check for yourselves.

Also, admins trying to make a backup will find it stops after a few seconds. I know what the problem is, but it is in the hands of the provider to solve it. In the mean time I will backup the database through phpmyadmin.
Best regards,

Leo.

The Rock Doctor

Thanks.  We're sorting out which of the Mod team will be doing back-ups in the future - I'm hampered by the fact that I'm on dial-up, so it'll likely be one of the others.

leo-rcc

That's ok. in the mean time I will perform the backups through the phpmyadmin page. this does mean that until this problem is solved no admins on the forum can perform the backups. I can however give a link to the phpmyadmin page but that would require a person to know how to work with that.
Best regards,

Leo.

leo-rcc

And again there has been an upgrade. We are now up to date with the forum software (v.1.1.5) and known security issues have been fixed.
Best regards,

Leo.

The Rock Doctor

leo-rcc

A couple of announcements.

As of today we are now on version 1.1.6 of the forum software. this is probably the last update of SMF 1, because the first beta's of SMF 2 are already out, and it looks like the transition to SMF 2 stable release will happen pretty soon.  We will not be transfering to SMF 2 the moment it gets out, first I'd like to see how much impact it has before upgrading.

Secondly, Congratulations to all, according to my stats you've now hit the 1 GB transfer a month mark. Nice to see the forum traffic is growing.

Lastly, the whole backup issue is still under review at the ISP. The problem is because of the size of the MySql behind this forum, the PHP server cannot allocate enough memory to zip and send the database data export. I am making backups that are unzipped through PHPMyAdmin. How to restore the data is going to be tricky should the problem arise but that is my problem, not yours.  ;D

Best regards,

Leo.

The Rock Doctor

Thanks for the update.  It's good to see that we are, in fact, growing.

Your help with the forum maintenence continues to be appreciated!

leo-rcc

My apologies for those that some problems with the forum today, as usual every time I try to ad some functionality I have to do some stuff by hand and that doesn't always work from the get go.

Today I added a chat function. It's pretty basic but I think it might help you when conferencing without the need of PM's.
Best regards,

Leo.

leo-rcc

The forum has had another update, we are now on 1.1.7. In case of any problems, just let me know.
Best regards,

Leo.

The Rock Doctor

Thanks for the update.  The Chat room is proving rather popular, it seems.